Ants in my boat seats!?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
stephenk22

Ants in my boat seats!?

Post by stephenk22 »

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was hoping my first post was going to be my completed boat built, but alas I have come across an interesting situation.

I finally cleaned my boat and prepped for painting, when I was washing it down I noticed some small white particles and small black particles. The small black particles appeared to be dead ants and I couldn't figure out what the white stuff was. I didn't pay it too much attention and painted my boat. '(its been sitting outside for 6 years unused).

The next morning I saw small piles of white material (boat seat insulation) underneath the seats. Thats when I started noticing the black ants.. I also could hear them chewing inside the seats themselves.

I put out ant bait, but I believe these are most likely carpentar ants. Has any one else had this happen? If so, please let me know how you got rid of them.

I believe my boat to be a 70's Alumacraft Model E.

[ external image ]
Attachments
boat ants.jpg
ats2.PNG
ants1.jpg

CedarRiverScooter

Ants in my boat seats!?

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

This is a new one on me. They must be marine ants! Looks like you will be pulling that foam out. This reminds me of my car's hood insulation, which my neighborhood critters found tasty.

JL8Jeff

Ants in my boat seats!?

Post by JL8Jeff »

I had ants get into the foam insulation under the center console on my old Boston Whaler Rage. They actually marched out the dock, then the chain holding the boat to the dock to set up camp in my center console! I think I just used regular insect spray or ant killer to get rid of them. I never did anything about the foam since it was really sound/heat insulation and not flotation foam. That's a pretty big ant you have there, mine were normal small black ants.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

jethro
Donor

Ants in my boat seats!?

Post by jethro »

I can't really tell you how to get rid of the ants but I wanted to comment on seats. And you certainly can get rid of them by changing the seats... but I recently bought new seats and I am in awe of how nice they are. Millennium Marine seats. They are a mesh design, they don't hold water, they don't get hot, you don't sweat in them... they are so comfortable... I can't say enough about them. This isn't the greatest picture but you'll get the idea. I wish I had bought them sooner.

I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker