Bass Boat to Tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Anyone ever converted a side console bass boat with front and rear decks to tiller?

A walleye style tiller boat is what I've always wanted, but there really is not many of them in Missouri. I'm kicking around the idea of converting it over to what I want. I don't like climbing over the decks and getting pounded/soaked by waves, and I like the low/open floor plan.

My biggest concern is weight, the boat is rear heavy already. I was hoping that moving the livewell, battery, and gas tank further ahead would help.

The motor is a Suzuki DT75. Suzuki did make an optional tiller handle, but I'm not sure that I would ever find one. A Honda or Yamaha tiller could be grafted on I think. They all seem to work the same for the most part. Would have to do a little bit of wiring and playing with cables, but I think it could be done.

I can't help you with the tiller conversion on the motor but I am a huge fan of open concept tiller boats. Having a slightly lower flat floor makes a boat more stable when moving around and not having the console in the way seems to give you more room than you'd think. If the tiller conversion doesn't look easy, a stick steering setup like you see on crappie boats should be easy since you already have the controls, just need a steering stick.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts