Rehabbing ROUGH Old Boat - Advice Wanted

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinkHeel

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently came into possession of a very rough old aluminum (row) boat. It is 12 ft long with a 50 in beam. No info on manufacture, age, etc. Has original oar locks and its shallow draft. Numerous small holes in the sides and a few holes (up to about the size of a nickel) in the bottom as well.

I’m planning to sand/strip it down, patch/rivet/5200 the holes, seal up the pin holes with (likely) muggy weld, paint, and use it just to knock around the local lake with my kids.

I‘m reasonably handy (I’ve restored an old house), but this will be a new experience. I’ve searched the forums here and bookmarked a number of threads, but am hoping y’all can provide additional advice, guidance, or encouragement. (Or tell me I’m insane and just to turn it into a giant planter).

Pictures of "Old Blue" are attached. IF ANYONE HAS THOUGHTS/IDEAS ON WHEN IT WAS MADE AND BY WHOM, I'd love to hear them!

Attachments

• IMG_5461.PNG
    IMG_5461.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5462.PNG
    IMG_5462.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5464.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5465.jpg
    IMG_5465.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5466.jpg
    IMG_5466.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5467.jpg
    842 KB · Views: 172
Whew, quite the project ...

1) Be aware any tin should be primed (acid etching zinc chromate) before patching or sandwiching tin sheets, else the goop could corrode the tin. A good scrubbing any bare tin with white vinegar and copper kitchen scrubbie pads before priming will serve you well.

Shown to follow is UNprotected/UNprimed tin where a piece was put over the tin.

2) I'd skip the 5200 (a magic elixir it is not ... ) and would use G-Flex 650 flexible epoxy ($21 kit) see: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40954&p=414970

Aluminum Corrosion, Protected vs Unprotected.jpg

I did a similar boat a couple years ago.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44152

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks Dale ... So, just so I’m clear, I should strip and clean thoroughly and then prime with an acid etching primer and then patch on Top of the primer?

A question for you on patching. What thickness of aluminum should the patch be? 1/16? Something thicker? What type of aluminum is best (3003, 5052, or 6061)?

Thanks!

Latest posts