Reinforcing Transom ? - Any advice appreciated

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWeaver04

Reaction score
What do you recommend for reinforcing a transom? I was thinking of using Starboard. Has anyone used Starboard before? How did it work?

There are a wide variety of methods.

Please post a picture of you boat & motor & we can start the kibitzing.

Starboard, unless really thick (but then is heavy & expen$ive), actually bends way too much for my taste. I prefer plywood wetted out with epoxy and then painted.

It’s also sooooo slick that I saw an small OB pop off a transom once & sink in 20+’ of water, when a guy in a big boat, towing his dinghy w/ that OB on it, ran over a mooring ball that hooked the dinghy OB’s prop & POOF - gone!

I'd be looking at a 2x10 inside or a 12 whatever will fit. May have to notch to go over the knee braces. And a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate on the outside. 10-12 high and about 16 wide or so. Bolt through and seal with 5200. Treat the wood with old timers or just spar urethane. Be plenty strong.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Here's what I did to work around the knee on my daughter's 12' tin. FYI, exterior plywood all coated in epoxy, then painted. Like someone else already offered, I also added aluminum U-channel to the top. Use 'twisted' aluminum nails (for aluminum siding) to attach the top cap through pre-drilled holes.

New Transom May 2017.JPG

Latest posts