Deck mock-up. Will this work in my tinny?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenfish

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/uPd3Suj
You can see from the link photos, I took the utmost care in making a mock-up in my 1978 Starcraft Seafarer 14'. Assuming I replace the duct tape with aluminum angle to connect all the 2x2, would that work for a casting deck? I'm around 230 lbs and would like to be able to step here and have a hatch in the center for life jackets. The hatch "opening " would rest on the center beam with the edges supported by the side and front/back frame.
The top support would be a 2x2 attached at both ends to the gunnels and the whole setup would be "hanging" from that, with the single diagonal support running to the rib. Unfortunately I don't have a rib more towards the front to support the whole thing and I'd prefer not to drill into the hull. The whole thing bench-side would be supported by aluminum angles.

Thank you all for looking at this for me. Expect more quality mock ups in the future.
Frank

Not sure how well that front support would hold up to all the weight at that angle. I have a feeling it would collapse? Below is what I made and supports 220+lbs.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 183
I agree, while that would probably hold, a creaky deck is annoying as can be.

I'd try to get that drop leg coming straight down, instead of angled backwards.

AquaKing said:
Not sure how well that front support would hold up to all the weight at that angle. I have a feeling it would collapse? Below is what I made and supports 220+lbs.

You make a really good point and I appreciate the example you provided. I think I was trying to run everything off the seat, rib, and hanging from the gunnels because I was afraid to put a block in the front bow seam of my boat. In my mind, standing on it would be like slowly driving a wedge between the two sides of my aluminum boat. I'm probably being a bit silly thinking that, but I also feel your support that's contoured to the whole bow curve would spread that weight out and is a really nice touch.

MrGiggles said:
I agree, while that would probably hold, a creaky deck is annoying as can be.

I'd try to get that drop leg coming straight down, instead of angled backwards.

You're very right - that would drive me nuts. Thank you for reminding me how bad squeaking wood can be.