Transom mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen

Reaction score
Early 80's Lund 16' rated 40hp, I have a 1982 Merc 50hp. Doubt I'd ever get to 3/4 throttle, I error way on the side of caution in terms of speed. Questions are:
1) will running my outboard like that harm it? And,
2) do I need to add braces? I'm concerned about the joint integrity of the transom to the gunwales etc.
I am reinforcing the transom with aluminum plate if i choose to proceed.
The extra power will come in handy for occasional tubing as my only other current option is trading for a 25hp Merc tiller that I doubt would allow me to even reach our slow desired speed of 15mph. Appreciate any knowledgeable advice! I have performed many searches for info and they're too many variables for me to be sure.

I don 't think you will have any problem until the day you hook up to the tube. Those things dig in & put mucho stress on the transom. It could even cause you to flip if you were in a turn.

Teach your kids to water ski instead. My wife wake boards behind my 1648 jon (I gave that stuff up).

****, that's a great point! Maybe I'll just keep the 18' Mr. Pike Deluxe I was going to trade down from after all. Wanted to be able to garage my boat and get through a creek to a secluded lake is why the potential trade. Thanks for the response I appreciate it!

Latest posts