Advice/ideas re: tiller seating for big fellas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattNYtrout

Reaction score
hi all! First post here. I want to explain my situation, so please forgive me if I'm too long-winded.

I'm a big guy at 360# (gahhhh I cringe writing that). Former high school and college athlete who stopped working out yet kept eating too much. I've made some progress as my diet is better and I've been weight lifting. I have acquired a 14' Deep V MirroCraft equipped with a 15 HP 4 stroke. My gear is minimal, so I will be well within the boat's weight capacity. Now it's a matter of weight distribution.
A bigger boat is out of the picture because of funds and I can't tow anything bigger

The boat has three bench seats. My primary concern is that my weight and the 90# motor will cause the stern to squat too low if I sit on the rear bench to pilot the tiller handle. I thus thought maybe I could make a tiller extension and sit on the middle bench. I made the classic PVC-and-hose clamp tiller extension, which works great concerning durability, length, and throttle control. Sigh....but as others pointed out in similar threads, steering control becomes quit limited, so I don't think the middle bench is a feasible option. I have to lean out over the boat to steer hard right. No dice!

I then thought, what if I split the difference and make a seat to sit between the rear and middle seats? I made a nice plywood box to sit on, but by placing a bench between the seats, there's no room to swing my legs around. Perhaps I could remove the rear bench, but I'm hesitant to do so because of the reduced floatation (these benches have foam) and assume the benches provide structural support.

Now I'm back to sitting on the rear bench. I should mention that I think centering my weight and straddling the bench is my best bet. I dont understand how people sit facing forward and reach back to steer 🤔 as I feel like I have no control.

I haven't been on the water with the boat yet, so I'm not even sure how far it will squat. And so I could be overthinking. If the boat is trimmed right, can that help counteract the weight near the stern? When fishing - primarily jigging - I could just move to the middle bench.

My primary question is how can I arrange or create a seat that allows for a shorter tiller extension AND moves my weigh forward?

Thanks for any insight!

We have a 1232 flat bottom boat. I'm close to 300 and the boat always felt tippy with me in the back and my son in the front. It never tipped but it sure rolled back and forth a lot - enough that fishing wasn't always fun.

Then, last year we got in the boat and it wasn't tippy any more. I hadn't even realized that the problem was weight distribution. He had finally gotten big enough that him plus the battery (which I mounted all the way up front) was now heavy enough to keep the bow down which made a huge difference in how stable the boat was.

Get as much weight up front as you can and if you can move forward of the rear seat, do it.

If you can add stick steering, it won't take up much room and you can sit as far forward as you want.

Definitely put the battery up front. Booster cables make a good low buck wire to run power back if you're using a transom mount trolling motor. Also buy a length of fuel hose and put the tank up front too. 14' boat should have plenty of weight capacity, just have to distribute it. A buddy of mine goes 280 and his 12' Vee sits down at the back when he's alone, so he uses a 5 gallon water cooler bottle up front when he's alone. Between that any the fuel tank it balances better. Use rocks if you have to, just get out fishing!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

First off, congrats on improving your diet as that and exercise is one thing that we all can do that can have a tremendous impact (as in added years!) to our lives. So like Red said in The Shawshank Redemption ... "Get busy living or get busy dying!"

In addition to those other great ideas, I like the concept of a stable seat between the rear & middle seats. Sometimes I sit sideways with my feet across the rear seat. And if needed, I'd remove some tin material off the 'face' of the rear-most vertical middle seat bulkhead enough so that you can swing your legs under the seat (without getting them trapped :shock: under there of course).

It won't be a huge change to hull if you keep at your program and then lose a lot of weight, so let's get you out fishing NOW and keep at it so you can have the goal to sit back in the rear seat some day! We'll support ya'!

Best thing to do is rip out all of the seats and install a floor..

I have done two this way (Currently 310lbs) and it gives you the best of everything. Room, comfort, balance...

My pedestal seat in the rear is about 1' forward of where the original bench was and I built a deck in the bow to house the battery and trolling motor.

The battery box is enclosed in 2 part foam with the deck being a 40"x40" triangle and the flotation goes under the floor. The trolling motor is on the bow with a wired foot pedal so I can run the main motor and the trolling motor from my seat.

Im also near perfectly balanced trim wise with the wife in the front seat or solo without trimming the motor.

Wow, I'm really taken back by the positivity and encouragement received thus far - thank you. 😊 I will try to maintain this positivity going forward and use it to keep building momentum on this journey.

I did buy a set of outriggers made by Island Hopper. They're designed for kayaks, but they make a jumbo version for big guys. I spoke to a company rep who thinks these outriggers will help prevent capsizing. The outrigger height is adjustable as the mounting hardware has a tube that pivots. This mounting bracket is then attached to a vertical board that will bolt to the hull.

I kayak too, so I intend on treating the boat like a kayak - stay seated, don't lean over the side, counter balance, etc.

Weight distribution: the battery is in the bow. I didn't consider moving the gas tank...Thanks for that suggestion 👍.

Removing part of the bench seat face plate- that's a good idea! Though I think may resort to this as a later option as I'd like to keep as much structure intact as possible. It's also my knees that hit the rear seat bench as I turn towards the stern. I then may have to notch out more than just a space for my feet.

I've gotta find a way to move my weight closer to the center, or add floatation to the back of the boat. Anyone familiar with the idea of mounting 6" PVC to the side of the hull with U-Bolts? I'm wondering if I can add these to the transom; the pipe would run parallel to the transom (think of floatation pods). I could also attach a couple feet of this pipe floatation collar along the sides starting at the stern and ending just forward of the rear seat.

Stick steer - how can I determine if my outboard is compatible. This would be awesome! I'd mount the controls in front of the center bench and sit smack dab in the middle. Any idea of associated costs? $500..$1k....$2k? 🤔

Attachments

• 20200828_193241.jpg
    20200828_193241.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 285
  • 20200906_134142.jpg
    20200906_134142.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 281
  • 20200904_172834.jpg
    20200904_172834.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 280
Is the rear bench attached to the floor? If not, it might not be too hard to move it forward a bit.

RaisedByWolves said:
Best thing to do is rip out all of the seats and install a floor..

I have done two this way (Currently 310lbs) and it gives you the best of everything. Room, comfort, balance...

My pedestal seat in the rear is about 1' forward of where the original bench was and I built a deck in the bow to house the battery and trolling motor.

The battery box is enclosed in 2 part foam with the deck being a 40"x40" triangle and the flotation goes under the floor. The trolling motor is on the bow with a wired foot pedal so I can run the main motor and the trolling motor from my seat.

Im also near perfectly balanced trim wise with the wife in the front seat or solo without trimming the motor.

I haven't given much consideration to decking the boat as I wanted to keep the weight down. Your setup sounds awesome! Any pics??

Would it be feasible to take out just the rear bench, and add a small floor just to mount a pedestal seat to?

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Is the rear bench attached to the floor? If not, it might not be too hard to move it forward a bit.

My boat is currently at the shop to have the outboard combed over. I asked them if they could move the rear seat forward by 12". They said they couldn't do this. Now whether that means THEY can't do it, or it shouldn't/can't be done, I'm not sure. I'm curious to find out, though. The bench seats are not attached to the floor...

Slimcowboy1978 said:
They can’t for liability reasons.

What would they liable for - could you elaborate? My tone is not snarky, but rather I'm curious. If there's liability concerns, then does that imply moving the rear bench will have a negative impact?

Thanks 😊

mattNYtrout said:
Slimcowboy1978 said:

What would they liable for - could you elaborate? My tone is not snarky, but rather I'm curious. If there's liability concerns, then does that imply moving the rear bench will have a negative impact?

Thanks 😊

I can see them being afraid of liability to an extent, but I would bet it’s a cost/benefit issue.

I'm a big guy too and always found boat seats in general to be torture after an hour... My solution is to make a flat floor between the seats and put a decent office chair with mesh back and lumbar support in that space between the middle and back seat. The adjustability, back support, and being able to move it around is priceless during a day of fishing. It moves the weight to the middle of the boat and still let's you steer with a small extension.

Just pull the casters off and any office chair base will sit securely on the floor. This is my open Starcraft, but you get the idea:
IMG_E2350.JPG
IMG_E2349.JPG

The big stable base makes mounting to a plywood floor an easy job. But I guarantee you, even with that 35 horse going 25 mph that seat is going nowhere when I'm sitting in it...

Paint it with a light color spray paint. you can bolt it to the floor if you don't want to carry the seat in the car... A cheap and easy boat seat for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe a small one like this for a small boat:
https://www.amazon.com/Home-Office-Chair-Ergonomic-Adjustable/dp/B089W86S39/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=task+chair&qid=1599748092&refinements=p_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A3254098011%7C3254099011&rnid=3254097011&s=home-garden&sr=1-12

hundreds to choose from...

RaisedByWolves said:
mattNYtrout said:
Slimcowboy1978 said:

Thanks 😊

I can see them being afraid of liability to an extent, but I would bet it’s a cost/benefit issue.

They modify the design. Something happens. They get blamed and sued because a strong case can be made that they are not boat designers.

Or, as Wolves says, it could be just more hassle than they want.

Shaugh said:
I'm a big guy too and always found boat seats in general to be torture after an hour... My solution is to make a flat floor between the seats and put a decent office chair with mesh back and lumbar support in that space between the middle and back seat. The adjustability, back support, and being able to move it around is priceless during a day of fishing. It moves the weight to the middle of the boat and still let's you steer with a small extension.

Just pull the casters off and any office chair base will sit securely on the floor. This is my open Starcraft, but you get the idea:
IMG_E2350.JPG
IMG_E2349.JPG

The big stable base makes mounting to a plywood floor an easy job. But I guarantee you, even with that 35 horse going 25 mph that seat is going nowhere when I'm sitting in it...

Paint it with a light color spray paint. you can bolt it to the floor if you don't want to carry the seat in the car... A cheap and easy boat seat for a fraction of the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Office-Chair-Ergonomic-Adjustable/dp/B089W86S39/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=task+chair&qid=1599748092&refinements=p_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A3254098011%7C3254099011&rnid=3254097011&s=home-garden&sr=1-12

Ohhhhhh that's a great idea I would of never considered. Thank you for taking the time to post pics as well...

Do you just remove the wheels, so the chair is then balanced on the 'spokes' that radiate out? Or do you use just the pedestal?

LDUBS said:
RaisedByWolves said:
mattNYtrout said:

Thanks 😊

They modify the design. Something happens. They get blamed and sued because a strong case can be made that they are not boat designers.

Both cases make sense, and I totally respect and trust their judgement.

Appreciate your comments 🙏

When you pull the casters it just sits on the spider. Or you can get pads that plug in.

https://www.amazon.com/Glides-Replacement-Stationary-Castors-Profile/dp/B076GVBYXW/ref=asc_df_B076GVBYXW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241977002771&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8619953964192566015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1025946&hvtargid=pla-463652040877&psc=1

Shaugh said:
When you pull the casters it just sits on the spider. Or you can get pads that plug in.

https://www.amazon.com/Glides-Replacement-Stationary-Castors-Profile/dp/B076GVBYXW/ref=asc_df_B076GVBYXW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241977002771&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8619953964192566015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1025946&hvtargid=pla-463652040877&psc=1

You're onto something here!!

mattNYtrout said:
Slimcowboy1978 said:

Thanks 😊

LDUBS said:
RaisedByWolves said:
mattNYtrout said:

Thanks 😊

LDUBS pretty much summed it up.

Shaugh said:

IMG_E2350.JPG
IMG_E2349.JPG

I would destroy that chair in under a year using it as a computer chair let alone on a boat.

The ones in your boat look sturdy enough though.

Latest posts