Paint vs. Vinyl for boat trim (and a floor Q)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhambus

Reaction score
Hey experts,

Got myself a 96 Starcraft Fishmaster 140 that I am redoing for more of a pleasure boat with kids. The boat is in good shape but the vinyl on the floor decking and on some of the aluminum trim panels needs replacing. I got it all of the vinyl off (still have to get the glue off) but wanted some advice on a couple of things from folks who have already "been there":

1. Should I paint the plywood flooring before I put down new vinyl? It seems like most people aren't doing that, but maybe it would help protect the deck from getting rotten? (Or will it just help hold the moisture in the wood?)

2. More importantly, all of the inside trim pieces of the boat (one is a compartment, the other main one is a long trim piece that hides the steering cable and a lot of wires) had been covered in Nautolex-type marine flooring vinyl, from the factory I suspect. What do people think about painting those vs. recovering them in vinyl? I can see both sides. Covering them in vinyl will protect them some, look uniform, and make them a little softer. On the other hand, the odds are that I am going to tear the vinyl a bit, and it's a pain to replace. Paint, on the other hand, will definitely scratch, but I can much more easily sand and repaint it or do spot repairs. I guess a third option is to clean it up real nice and just have bare aluminum, too, but that seems like it might get really hot in the sun (I live in North Carolina).

What do others think? I have attached a picture to show the old vinyl that covered the aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 222
Probably not the answer most would say but since no one has replied yet... cover it all in "hydro turf"! :lol: After cleaning of course. It's really cheap these days and whether your kneeling, standing, sitting or leaning against it... sure is nice!

Far as the wood.. i assume its already retaining moisture so it will fail eventually. Do whatever is cheapest to get you by then plan on replacing it in 5yrs with starboard/PVC? Painting over it can help adhere whatever is on top.. but the paint will eventually come off with whatever is on top.

Floor - I'd not bother painting one before adding vinyl ....

Gunnel - ****, it's too bad that gunnel is all chewed up! But, with the screws on top, you should be able to re-cover it and 'may' be easier to add new vinyl over the old. To get around the control box without unhooking everything, layout/affix the vinyl on top and leave a long edge to drop down for the vertical piece. Cut the 'hole' needed for the control box and then cut 1 vertical cut straight up to that hole from the bottom edge ... less likely to be seen once done.

Now, for those special SS washers, NOTE there are 2 at each screw, not 1! This is on purpose, by design, so when you turn the screw, 1 stays tight to the viny, and the other 'spins' if needed, but slides over the other one so as not to tear/twist the vinyl. If you need some ... just PM me, as I have spares.

Thanks to you both! I'll look into the Hydro Turf and not bother painting. I will probably have the boat for 5 or 6 years max, so hopefully the wood will last that long.

I did notice the 2 washers and I did save them all when I started taking out the screws, thankfully - but I did not know that was why - very clever! I'll keep that in mind for covering the gunnel, too - I was puzzling over the control box and wondering what the heck to do with it anyway. I did try to get the shifter off and managed to break the button doohickey in the center so I will have to find a new one of those, dangit. Also, thanks for telling me that was the gunnel - excellent marine-sounding term. :) I had no idea what to call it.

https://tbnation.net/collections/decking-flooring

The new decking stuff is pretty nice, im going to do it when I redo my 63 richline deck

I second the vote for hydroturf. I used the diamond pattern on my jet boats. That pattern is tough!

Latest posts