Hull cleaning help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~DJ~

Reaction score
Hello. I got a project boat a few months ago. 1969 Hewes 12'. Pretty beat. Just finished restoring the inside. Replaced all the wood, sealed the bottom with Glove-It and painted it. The hull, besides dings and dents, is almost black from 50 years of abuse/neglect. I've been using a DA sander which is cleaning off the heavy stuff pretty well. The problem is the black circles around a jillion rivets that the sander can't get to. Is there anything that can clean around the rivets better? Maybe even a chemical? Thanks so much, DJ.

Vinegar helps. I used a 50/50 solution with water. Still have to scrub. A nyalox wheel or cup brush will help with the scrubbing and won't damage rivets if you use a lower speed on the drill. I mopped on the vinegar using Scotch Brite as a sponge. Scrubbed by hand for a bit then came back over using a nyalox wheel. My hull wasn't too far gone so probably less elbow grease.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Toilet bowl cleaner, like 'the works' will definitely cut through the oxide. Attach a brush to a stick so you can keep your distance. Eye protection a must. I also recommend neutralizing the acid with soapy water then rinse with a hose.

Can Toilet bowl cleaner clean it?
You can read more about the review of the hull cleaner here https://www.ridetheducks.com/best-boat-hull-cleaners/

Latest posts