1648 Jon hyd. jack plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUXBWARE

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 1648 riveted Jon, 20" transom, with a 30hp etec, with power tilt and trim.

I am considering a had jack plate, to allow me better show water, low speed and idling around for duck hunting. not looking for any speed/performance increase.

I am worried that the added weight, and the setback, will cause the boat's stern to squat too much, and will defeat the purpose of the plate, mostly.

As in, I'll be able to lift the motor 5 or 6 inches, with he had, plate, bu the stern will squat 3", leaving me very little gain.

Any body have any experience with a boat this size?

Thanks men. Very appreciated.!

You could put as much weight as possible towards the bow to compensate. An extended tiller handle would let you sit farther fwd too. Float pods would be an option if all else fails.

My tiller Handle is too long as it is now. lol. but the setback would make it the perfect length likely. as my swivel seat that is mounted to the rear bench is actually actually pretty forward as it is.

I think I Could move the little weight I have onboard, forward to compensate. I could move starting battery to front and extend the cables, possibly fuel tank too. Plus while hunting, most decoys, etc, would be at the front anyways, which would help too.

Pods are not an option for me though. Might as well buy a different boat is going to do that. Cost of pods and install, wouldn't be worth it. Also, I dint know of a shop close to me, that I'd trust to install pods. lol.

Really hoping someone has who has already added a plate to boat this size, will chime in. I'm just so hesitant to spend big bucks, as an experiment. lol.

Thanks, Skip.

RaisedByWolves said:
How are you coming up with 3" of added draft?

Im 300lbs and my stern only draws 1 1/2" additional when I get in the boat.

I'm not coming up with 3" of added, draft. I have no idea, but worried for how much added draft. thats why I'm asking for anyone that has actually added a HYD Jackplate to the same boat.

The 150lb outboard, plus the 45lb jackplate, is behind the transom. I assume it will act much different than putting weight in the boat.

Does that Etec really only weigh 150 lbs.? I'm surprised. You're right though, it being on a jack plate will cause your transom to squat more. Too bad you won't do pods, they're made for your situation.

eeshaw said:
Does that Etec really only weigh 150 lbs.? I'm surprised. You're right though, it being on a jack plate will cause your transom to squat more. Too bad you won't do pods, they're made for your situation.

Sorry. That was a guess not he weight. Actual weight, I just looked it up. 179.9 lbs.

Ya, If I need to add pods, I'll just keep the motor and get a different hull. and sell this one.

yeah I was going to say, that motor should be up close to 180 lbs. Ridiculously heavy for a two stroke, if you ask me.

Your concerns are valid. Yes the stern is going to sit a little lower if you add more weight. People don't understand that the weight of the jack plate is going to be behind the stern, which acts like more of a lever, drawing the back side down even more. Then as you are planing, you will get more bow rise. So if you're gonna be running skinny, ideally you want to be on plane long before you get to the skinny water. But ideally if you're gonna run "that" skinny, you're probably better off with a jet.

All I know is that when you add that extra weight behind the transom in conjunction with the weight of the motor you'll have more squat and like was stated, more bow rise. That makes me leery because it increases the "swamp" factor. Without pods I'll pass. Even if you slow down slowly to keep water from coming over the transom you'll have that one time that will make you wish you had pods to jack that rear upward.

Latest posts