HDPE Plastic 4x8 sheets for decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheIceKing

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I see many folks use non-treated plywood, CDX, or aluminum sheets for their decks. Some then paint, or seal the decking before applying carpet, etc. Other than cost and possibly a slight weight increase, is there a reason "modders" are not using HDPE 1/2" - 3/4" sheet for decking that way there is no way it will ever rot!

It can be cut, screwed, routered, and glued like the other stuff, but without ever the worry of warping or rotting from moisture.

Just wondering?

TheIceKing said:
Just wondering?

A few thoughts ...

• Is slippery like an eel! Needs to be covered or you will kill yourself slipping on it!
  • And gluing is not the best option for coverings on it ... regardless of what the adhesive makers say
  • It moves with temps; holes need to be 1.5X over-size or more, else it will buckle or tear out the fasteners
  • It is gawd-awful :shock: HEAVY ...
  • Can be expensive
  • Not as stable as plywood, needs more support per square footage than any other material, less maybe thin tin

Let's just say I've never seen a boat floor made out of it yet ...

Marine grade plywood with epoxy sealer has been great in my experience. I have also sprayed raptor bedliner for a nonslip surface.
10453a76f9f83526c73bf54e605a0e97.jpg
7f7cee6609c424772870bffe2bf58c92.jpg
2ba45d22f1d0e1464fc6c8e5d30dd0c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The plastic is comparable for weight to marine grade. Easy to cut/rivet and has worked out amazing for my newest revamp. I’d recommend it and get tons of compliments. I cartop my boat on some trips and doesn’t feel any worse then when I had painted plywood.

The Coast Guard boats use this stuff these days. I have a friend who builds high end coastal patrol boats. So glad I won’t have to revamp the boat in 5-10yrs. BTW we regularly stand on it all. It’s our swimming jungle gym.

Good luck!

E783B3CF-5B2E-4AEF-8C53-64B9A28A8B36.jpeg
870456BB-83D2-4687-AAD2-95CF29CA67AB.jpeg
26C16586-803C-43EB-89F6-8EE796D3B160.jpeg

I used it to deck out my 16' mirrocraft after originally using plywood. About the same weight. Covered with Overton deck grip paint. I am over aluminum bracing so no chance of rot ever.

Much better then wood!

Well, there is a guy in PA that has it for $80 a sheet (4X8) in various thicknesses and colors. If covered with a material like sea-deck or bed liner to keep it from being slippery, it may be a good alternative to marine ply that then has to be sealed.

Thanks all for the input.