I'm putting a console in my jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FigNewton

Reaction score
It's a Lowes 1648. The motor is a 25 HP Mercury 4 cycle with tilt and trim.

I've already bought the console. Now I'm looking for a steering system and outboard motor control? I've seen lots on Amazon and ebay. Will those work or will I need to buy OEM Mercury parts?

Thanks

There are a lot of parts available for steering and controls so you don't need to go OEM. You just need to check what style of connections you have at the motor and then buy the stuff for it. You also need to measure the length so you don't come up short with the cables. You may want to post up some pictures showing your motor around the mounting area to see what type of steering it takes as well as pictures under the hood showing the control cable setup it will need. Then people can help you find the right parts. It's better to ask a lot of questions so you don't waste money buying the wrong parts. Are you planning on running the console farther forward or more towards the center of the boat?

I ran my cables along one side of the boat. It would be cleaner to run them under the floor but I didn't really want to cut any openings and my hull is a jet tunnel so there isn't a good center area for them when you get back to the tunnel.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_cables.jpg
    Lowe_1652_cables.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for the reply Jim.

I bought my motor new last year and it has the tiller handle. So I'm needing what it takes to remove the handle and install the remote steering and starting, shifting and tilting the engine.

It' a 2020 Mercury (Tohatsu) 4 cycle EFI 25 HP, with tilt and trim.

If your console does not already have a steering gear in it, then you will need something like this, that comes with the steering gear, bezel, and cable. The all you will need is a wheel.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/safe-t-qc-rotary-steering-kit-by-teleflex.html

I think you will need an OEM wire harness so you would need to figure out what length for that. I got my harness off Ebay and it was still new in the box. I also went with the Uflex cables when I moved my console forward and the old stuff was too short.

FigNewton said:
Thanks for the reply Jim.

I bought my motor new last year and it has the tiller handle. So I'm needing what it takes to remove the handle and install the remote steering and starting, shifting and tilting the engine.

It' a 2020 Mercury (Tohatsu) 4 cycle EFI 25 HP, with tilt and trim.

I looked at my Suzuki manuals and it has a complete section on remote options, showing all the parts. I would think the Tohatsu would be similar.

Latest posts