Seating Weight Distribution Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrinG

Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for having me here. I'm sure I'll have all kinds of newbie questions!

I am in the process of mounting seats on the benches of my Fisher 14/36 Jon. I mounted the back seat and after a few trips to the lake found I needed to move it right of center for a more comfortable day (tiller-steer Mercury 9.9). Now that I have moved my seat several inches right of center (and my bow-mount trolling motor is also on the bow right adding weight), should I mount the seat on the middle bench left of center to counter balance? I fish alone alot but also take a friend or family member occasionally. I have my 3 gallon gas tank bow left and the electronics deep cycle battery mounted dead center just behind the middle bench. I try to put all the fishing gear and such all to the left for more weight that side.

Thanks in advance for any wise advice!

Welcome aboard!
My preference would keep the middle seat centered because that’s how the factory would do it.
Its easy enough to shift other gear to the left if needed.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply jasper60103.
Your reply came not long after I finished the seat install on the middle bench. The small steel plates that accept the post-mount seat was just too stressful on the thin aluminum bench top, so I began modifying to make the seats more durable and stronger. I used 3/4" plywood, painted to match, bolted down to the bench tops, then mounted swivel seat bases. It appears to have really strengthened the seats and eliminated all the flex of being mounted on a small plate. I did mount the rear seat to the right as stated before for comfort for me driving, and then mounted the front seat slightly to the left for weight distribution. I hope it works ok and the boat rides better. If not, I'll move it back to center, but for now it's mounted left of center.

Finished install:

rHAHCI5.jpg

DarrinG said:
Thanks for the reply jasper60103.
Your reply came not long after I finished the seat install on the middle bench. The small steel plates that accept the post-mount seat was just too stressful on the thin aluminum bench top, so I began modifying to make the seats more durable and stronger. I used 3/4" plywood, painted to match, bolted down to the bench tops, then mounted swivel seat bases. It appears to have really strengthened the seats and eliminated all the flex of being mounted on a small plate. I did mount the rear seat to the right as stated before for comfort for me driving, and then mounted the front seat slightly to the left for weight distribution. I hope it works ok and the boat rides better. If not, I'll move it back to center, but for now it's mounted left of center.

Finished install:

rHAHCI5.jpg
Looks great. I have the same gray seats. Very comfortable too.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts