Suggestions for decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlattrr

Reaction score
I bought this Lowe 1652 a few years ago and mostly hunted out of it. It came bare bones so i haven’t really done much to it. I want to add some kind of decking. Carpet or vinyl. I also want to add some storage. I mostly fish out of it now.

I dont know much about boats and I have no friends around me who have boats. Im open to suggestions on how i can make it better with moderate efforts and low costs.

Should I add plywood before I carpet the deck or should i glue it right to the metal?

Glue right to the metal, no need for plywood.

Really the only good things about carpet are that it's cheap, forgiving, and easy to find. Otherwise, it's hard to clean, stains easily, holds moisture, and snags hooks.

Vinyl is a much better alternative, but can be a little trickier to apply.

Were you wanting to build a deck, or just cover the floor and steps/benches that are already there?

I think ill just cover it for now and then build deck later.

I really need storage more than anything.

Home Depot or Lowes carries some cheap outdoor carpet in a few colors. Just cut to fit + a little outdoor carpet glue. I wouldn't go crazy, might be a PITA next time you replace the carpet.

-Kurt

For a temporary storage option, I'm a big fan of the elastic cargo nets. Mostly out of your way when you don't need it, but there in a flash to keep light items from blowing away like life jackets, seat pads, purses, empty beer cans, rain gear. They can have a habit of snagging stray rod tips and hooks though.

Anyone have a source for buying vinyl floor online. Cheap/ decent quality?

Latest posts