Flat Bottom Jon vs V Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockfishnc

Reaction score
Hello,

Insights appreciated. Have a 16 foot flat bottom fisher jon boat that is 55 inches wide at the floor - 1988. Boat is mostly used for crabbing and fishing in sounds and on the intercoastal waterway. > 90% of large boats slow down when they pass particularly if close. Occasionally we get rocked pretty good and need to be careful to not take water over the bow. How much better would a modified V Hull or potentially a V Hull do with large boat wakes or handling chop in higher winds in the sound.

Typically have 2-3 people including myself in the boat and just added 20 HP tiller engine. Put a good deal of time getting the current flat bottom boat how i want it, seats, paint, floor etc. Wondering if i would be better off with a different shaped hull that could handle a little rougher water. Assume the trade off (other than cost of a new boat) would be with stability and potentially floor space without the flat bottom.

Many Thanks for your feedback,
Greg

If you are only talking only about Jon boat hulls, I have both, I really like the 1654 FB GRIZZLY, but when running rapids in a river the 1648 MV blind duck GRIZZLY creates less splash over the bow, that's the only benefit that I have seen between the two hulls.
There are 17' V hull boats made by various manufacturers that would easily suit your needs, I also have a 17' Starcraft SFM that has plenty of room for 3 people and will handle rough water, if going to Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence river, or any other big water, the Jon boats stay at home!
You need two boats! :lol:

If your current boat is set up to your liking, & the only problem is taking wakes over the bow, then maybe you could add some height to the bow area.

Will look homemade, so if you are style-conscious, then maybe not a good idea.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback. Not really style conscious so will see if i can figure a way to put up a splash guard. Another boat really is not an option at the moment. Will keep following classifieds for a v hull and see if anything pops up as well.

Appreciate the insights and ideas scrolling through the forum pages.

Best,
Greg

Latest posts