3 gal vs 6 gal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwork

Reaction score
I planned on putting a 3 gallon gas tank in my aluminum boat because I mainly troll. New 3 gallon I think is $45 from Basspro. Guy has a couple 6 gallon for $25 each. Wait and buy new or just get 6 gallon?

What size motor?

When I had a 9.8, the 3 gallon was fine. I later upgraded to a 25hp on the same tank, and had to be careful. It would hardly last through a day of fishing.

If you’re talking a newer 4 stroke, they sip gas.
I have a Suzuki DF30A and 6 gallons is plenty for many trips to the lake.

That said, I would still take the 6 gallon tank unless hard pressed for space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an older 73 Evinrude sportwin 9.5. The 16' boat space is limited...the 6 gallon is just taller but I didn't know if there were improvements with a newer tank..
198990386_1255388284875834_1075372410590818847_n.jpg

Go with the 6 ... as most likely - UNLESS they just filled up - most using a 6-gal tanks only have ~ 3-5 gallons (~50% to 80%) in them anyway, LOL ...

Besides, when on the water or when the fishing it HOT ... you will NEVER want for less gas, but sure will for MORE!

look at it from another standpoint.

what is the usage? Do you jump in the boat, and run for 10+ miles one way full throttle? Are you using a 2 or 4 stroke? What size? And lastly and just as-if not MORE imporantly-how long does it sit between uses?

If you make long runs and/or are using a bigger 2 stroke outboard (25+hp), 6 gallons. Maybe more. Try to keep an eye on your fuel level as you are using it the first time. Maybe you can borrow a tank to try before you buy one?

A 4 stroke motor uses roughly half the fuel a 2 stroke does. Typically at full throttle full speed full load, a 4 stroke 25hp will use between 2 and 2.5 gallons per hour. And trust me when I say, 1 hour at full throttle full speed is a LONG time in a tiller steered boat. A 2 stroke 25 will use about 4 gal/hr give or take a half or so.

If you use your boat a weekend, then let it sit for 2-3 months, it won't matter what size tank you get because you will be draining the old crap out pretty often anyway. Use a 3 gallon. That way you don't have to throw away 6 gallons of liquid gold. One thing I found with my stuff is that I never know what my schedule is from day to day, so I only keep 3 gallons....when I do get to go, if I use up 3/4 of a 3 gal tank, and let 1/4 of it get old, at least the sting of having to throw it out (or put it in the mower, whatever) is a little less.

weight is another concern. IF you don't need 6 gallons, carry 3. Half the weight over the stern. Or actually probably a little less than half since there is less material in the smaller fuel tank's construction than a 6. Splitting hairs there but you get the idea.