transducer mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
I bought a fish finder/gps FINALLY. I ain't got it in yet, but I'm planning on where to put it, etc.

I know where I want the head unit. Garmin striker 7SV if it matters. It's gonna be near the front seat area, mounted on a ram style mount. I think I already have a ram, just don't know where it is right now (I'll find it-eventually).

The ducer. Aint sure where I want it. If it mount it on the transom, it'll have a couple holes in the back which I ain't really a fan of, plus it's more or less a permanent mount. And it's in the back. If I 'm sitting in the front what I see below me is 12 foot behind me. If I mount it on the trolling motor, the trolling motor has to be down to use it, plus I gotta watch the cable. It's a wireless motor and it'lll spin 360+ degrees, so possibility exists to wind the ducer cable up around the shaft. And I have been known to turn it round and round not on purpose, just accidentally standing on the remote (or sitting on it).

I could mount it to the PT35 power tilt couldn't I? The only issue I see there is that I'll (1) have to fish a wire through the boat, (2) it's still 12 foot behind where I'm sitting and (3) it's closer to the prop than I like it to be, possibly causing ventilation (I run the motor close to blowing out now and it does sometimes when conditions are just right).

Ideas? Suggestions?

Mount it on the transom. You can epoxy a piece of starboard (plastic) to the transom to save drilling holes in the hull. This also allows you to fine tune the location if required. Sometimes they pick up noise from the keel runners. Mount as per instructions on the starboard side or right side of the motor looking forward. As far from the motor as possible while still being on the bottom of the hull. The transducer sends and receives in a cone. The cone is wider the deeper you are. I had my fish finder set up for ice fishing last winter in 30 ft of water. When I saw fish on it, the guys in the next hut would be catching too and sometimes I could see their baits so being right on top of the transducer isn't critical in my opinion.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I "glued" a piece of PVC to the transom with 3M 5400 marine adhesive and screwed the transducer to that. No holes in the transom.

If you're moving at trolling motor speed, placement isn't real critical but your installation manual will give you tips. Unless your unit has a thru-hull transducer, you're going to be stuck mounting it outside the boat and the transom is as good a spot as any.

If you really want to mount it in the middle of the boat, see if there is a thru-hull transducer available for your model. Some of these can sit inside the boat and "look" through the hull.

Minn Kota makes trolling motors with built in transducers. I think they're partnered with hummingbird though. Interesting option.

Unless you have a newer trolling motor I don't think the built in transducers are all that great (just guessing here, haven't researched). The transducer from my Garmin UHD is pretty large, and my older trolling motor has a built in transducer too but is about half the size, so likely it isn't all that detailed as the new Garmin TD.

The starboard/plastic cutting board mount seems to be the best. Even if you only put 2 holes in your boat to attach the piece of starboard, then you can mount many transducers to that same board without adding extra holes to the boat itself, only to the plastic.

You dilemma is why I have two, the main unit on the console and a smaller one up front.

Only the higher end trolling motors have a built in transducer. It will work with any unit, with the right adapter cable. My Terrova has it, I use it with a Garmin, works just fine, but it is 2D sonar only, no down or side imaging. I believe they have DI available now, but no SI.

If you have a tiller style boat where you'll be mostly fishing from the back, having a bow unit is not as important, but if you like to sit/stand up front, it is handy.

On the budget side, if a brand spanking trolling motor isn't in the cards.. A cheaper unit out back for depth while running, I use a Garmin Striker 4+. And mount the better unit up front for use while fishing. A retractable pvc mount could be make cheap. A short piece with a tee could be clamped to the gunwale and the vertical shaft slide through with a couple pin holes, one each for the down and up positions. Mount opposite your trolling motor for no interference. The PVC would be flexible enough to absorb any bumps in shallow water. Get your creative juices flowing!

Before I got my tinny, I had an inflatable that I used in California surf. As I could not leave a transducer on it, I came up with an over the transom mount I used that I could remove (also have a Garmin). I basically took a long flat piece of heavy aluminum that had holes built in already, and bent it to fit tightly over the transom. I mounted the transducer to that and it worked great. Take it off and put it on at will.

When I got the tinny, I kept these, and now have rod holders connected to it, and can drop rod holders over the transom.

Next time I have the boat cover off, I'll get a photo for you.