Best shade system?

Boating related questions, small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

Researching options to provide some shade while fishing at troll in a 80s 14ft mirro v tiller drive.

Concerned that a bimini would get in the way of fishing. Thought about a homemade T top, or just a big umbrella or 2.

What have others done, and thoughts?

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

I ordered one of these last week: Doesn't look real heavy duty but it's cheap and a bungee from the front should hold it in place. It's mostly for my dog, so will mount it low so's I can see over it.

If the sun really gets bad, I can remount it to shade myself and pooch can sit at my feet.

DaleH
Donor

Best shade system?

Post by DaleH »

Heavy beach umbrellas are only $25-$35 around here (Boston). The 7' diameter should provide some coverage.

FWIW, Marine Part Depot (http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststrodho3.html) sells a 4" SS rod holder set at 90-degrees, for $10 each. At that price you could have a few spots to hold them or just go cheap and fasten some PVC tubes in a few spots!

Rod Holder, 90-degree.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

DaleH wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 12:03 Heavy beach umbrellas are only $25-$35 around here (Boston). The 7' diameter should provide some coverage.

FWIW, Marine Part Depot (http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststrodho3.html) sells a 4" SS rod holder set at 90-degrees, for $10 each. At that price you could have a few spots to hold them or just go cheap and fasten some PVC tubes in a few spots!

Rod Holder, 90-degree.gif

Thank you. I have been leaning towards the umbrella Idea.--Didn't think about beach umbrellas, I'll check that out.

Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

gogittum wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:35 I ordered one of these last week: Doesn't look real heavy duty but it's cheap and a bungee from the front should hold it in place. It's mostly for my dog, so will mount it low so's I can see over it.

If the sun really gets bad, I can remount it to shade myself and pooch can sit at my feet.
Those versabrellas are some of what I have been looking at. How high do they mount? I have folding "bleacher" chairs mounted to the bench seats that would give it something to connect to, would it go high enough to be out to the way yet provide shade?

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

Mine should be here mid-week, so I'll let you know.

LDUBS

Best shade system?

Post by LDUBS »

My previous 15' boat had a bimini top. It provided good shade, but definitely got in the way when fishing/trolling. When I was fishing solo, I would loosely secure only one of the rear straps with a piece of velcro so I could fold the bimini forward to get it out of the way. Not very elegant, but hey, it worked.
Have Rod - Will Fish

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

I looked at the 7 ft beach umbrellas but the boat is only a bit over 5 ft wide and I figured they would be an awkward thing to set up and run with. The one I ordered "looks" to be big enuf to be effective and won't have as much drag in the air when running. I hope.

DaleH
Donor

Best shade system?

Post by DaleH »

I'd mount it high off the center/back of your boat seat, then whichever you turned ... you'd have shade. The dog? ... maybe ...

Kismet

Best shade system?

Post by Kismet »

We're wantin' some picture here, guys.
:roll:
Kis
Enjoy every sandwich

1955 Alumacraft Model A
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 08&start=0
1959 Alumacraft Model F
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=25386
1980 Alumacraft Model F7, 1955-56? Johnson 10hp
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35326
1956 Alumacraft Model RB
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=39249

LDUBS

Best shade system?

Post by LDUBS »

Well, maybe not. :LOL2:
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 5.43.17 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have Rod - Will Fish

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

Sport Brella came in yesterday and fussed with mounting options some today. Think I've got a good preliminary setup in place now, so will water test it tomorrow and post pictures afterward. I think it'll be too small for really good personal protection and it's very light weight, but appears to be perfect for my hot dog.

Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

LDUBS wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 20:47 Well, maybe not. :LOL2:

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 5.43.17 PM.png

We have a winner!!

Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

gogittum wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 21:09 Sport Brella came in yesterday and fussed with mounting options some today. Think I've got a good preliminary setup in place now, so will water test it tomorrow and post pictures afterward. I think it'll be too small for really good personal protection and it's very light weight, but appears to be perfect for my hot dog.

Awesome, look forward to it. I chased couple walmart specials down but they were all out, soook forward to seeing your setup.

BTW, like the fishfinder mount. I now have to rethink mine (currently mounted on a flat board pintle mounted into one of the rowing lugs

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

I also built a full sized working mock-up of an instrument panel and finished it today. I'll show it in tomorrow's pictures. It mounts at an angle on the aluminum plate below the Lowrance. When I'm sure there aren't any bugs (none showing so far) I'll build the permanent one out of an Acacia slab similar to the one the Lowrance is mounted on. (very pretty grain cutting board) I have yet another Acacia wood board that will mount between the 2 and carry the VHF radio that's still in storage. (long story)