Best shade system?

Boating related questions, small projects, custom work and talk go here.
nytebyte

Best shade system?

Post by nytebyte »

Them little umbrellas do work great for my black lab to get a bit of shade. I keep it down low so she can get under it otherwise it catches to much wind.

Colorado1135

Best shade system?

Post by Colorado1135 »

I've got a vertically mounted PVC rod holder on the left console of my fisher 19. lash the umbrella down or it will take flight with a gust of wind. works great to keep shade in the boat and doesn't interfere with fishing
Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

My run today was a bust. Got it launched and couldn't keep the motor going. I just put in the larger tank the boat came with and couldn't make the bulb squeeze firm.....must be sucking air in the tank or something - the fuel hose and squeeze bulb worked fine on my test runs with the smaller tank last week. Squeeze the bulb for a long time and seem to feel some pressure and the motor would start, run for 30 seconds and die. Bulb empty. Always somepin. Anyway......

0N6750.JPG
Looking forward from driver's seat while seated. Visibility forward is fine. Stand up and it's a non-issue. I agree with nytebyte about keeping it low - the umbrella seems well enuf made but very light and fragile. I doubt it'll handle much wind. Also, it throws the shade too far forward to be really practical.

As threatened, there's my new experimental instrument panel and it works fine. Voltmeter and tachometer, circuit breakers, main power switch and bilge pump switch. Later I'll add another breaker for the VHF and I may add a 2nd bilge pump. Undecided at this point. The VHF will go on a new shelf between the Lowrance and the instrument panel.

0N6751.JPG
I took a piece of 4 quarters 2x6 and made a spacer to set it back away from the seat. This is a very temporary setup for proof of function. The push-to-release angle adjustments work very well and have a good range of motion, but again, seem fragile. We'll see.

0N6752.JPG
I don't think it's really big enuf to do a person much good, but is a perfect size for my 50# dog. Throws a good patch of shade and is rated UPF 50.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gogittum

Best shade system?

Post by gogittum »

A quick add-on to show the rest of the system.....

0N6754.JPG

I mounted the grab bar on hinges so's I could lay it flat while trailering and when covered. It uses 2 heavy duty steel hinges. The bar itself is a golf cart item that cost me just $35 on Amazon. A doubled 1/8" x 1" steel strap, here swung out of the way, holds it solidly when running. You could swing from it. It plugs into the home made fitting on the front of the seat and is locked by a push pin locking bar. Motorcycle battery is in the black box.

0N6733.JPG
I made an X frame at the back to support my push pole and a smaller brace on the center seat to support the middle of the push pole. Grab bar is completely out of the way. This makes a very neat and sanitary installation and keeps leaves and debris out of the boat. (I park it under a forest of Oak trees) It tows beautifully, too and keeps prying eyes off'n my stuff. Now I worry about push pole thieves. Always somepin.

The cobbled up seat mount is the only way I could figure to mount it on a pivot base without making it too high. Hey....it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

Nice setup, like how it folds down!

Wyota

Best shade system?

Post by Wyota »

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I tried the umbrella system, didnt work for me.

Finally found in an old thread from early June 2017 entitled "best source for bimini" where someone had a nice t-top made of conduit. Going to attempt something like that.