Pedastals - threaded vs non-threaded

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to tell if your boat pedestals are threaded or not threaded?
I have a 2011 G3 1756SC. Thanks.

Mine are not threaded. Brand is Swivl-Eze. They slide in and have a kind of spring clip to hold them. When you want to remove them, push that little black button and pull them out. I would think most would be not threaded. I sure would prefer not threaded.

IF you aren't talking about seat pedestals, then I'm gonna be feeling kind of dumb here. Just sayin. . :LOL2:

Added a photo:

Ped.jpg

LDUBS said:
Mine are not threaded. Brand is Swivl-Eze. They slide in and have a kind of spring clip to hold them. When you want to remove them, push that little black button and pull them out. I would think most would be not threaded. I sure would prefer not threaded.

IF you aren't talking about seat pedestals, then I'm gonna be feeling kind of dumb here. Just sayin. . :LOL2:

Added a photo:

Ped.jpg

I am talking about seat pedestals. I’ll take a pic of the base. Different pedestal.

Shine a flashlight into the hole in the base plate to see if you can see threads.

Here's the pedestal that was in my boat when I got it. It's similar to the on LDUBS shows but mine was seized into place. The aluminum will corrode down in the base and swell getting stuck. It took me some PBblaster and pounding it with a hammer to finally get it loose to remove it from the base. If you have one that is stuck, this might be the situation you're running into. There should be some type of release button or tab but mine was broken and it had swelled up around the base.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_1a.JPG
    Lowe_1652_1a.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 324
That's the style I have in my boat and they just slip into place. If it gets stuck you can use a strap wrench to rotate them and they'll come out.

This is the base
If I recall correctly, the pedestal didn’t go all the way down, that’s why I think it may NOT have been threaded.

Attachments

• CA60BE6C-FC29-4CCB-A1E1-83CD4552C28B.jpeg
    CA60BE6C-FC29-4CCB-A1E1-83CD4552C28B.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 298
JL8Jeff said:
Here's the pedestal that was in my boat when I got it. It's similar to the on LDUBS shows but mine was seized into place. The aluminum will corrode down in the base and swell getting stuck. It took me some PBblaster and pounding it with a hammer to finally get it loose to remove it from the base. If you have one that is stuck, this might be the situation you're running into. There should be some type of release button or tab but mine was broken and it had swelled up around the base.

The possibility of it getting seized seems even higher with a threaded connection. About once/month I lube the pedestal tube and inside the bases. Do all of the canvass snaps too while I'm at it.

the hammer said:
This is the base
If I recall correctly, the pedestal didn’t go all the way down, that’s why I think it may NOT have been threaded.

I'm going to bet that pedestal base goes with an unthreaded seat post with a 3/4" pin like this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.21.36 PM.png

LDUBS said:
the hammer said:
This is the base

I'm going to bet that pedestal base goes with an unthreaded seat post with a 3/4" pin like this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.21.36 PM.png

I think so too. I’m going to send a note out to G3 and see if they can provide the info.

Can you get a finger in there to feel for threads or stick a screwdriver in and slowly run it up the sides to feel for threads? I don't think it's threaded either but a closer inspection would help.

JL8Jeff said:
Can you get a finger in there to feel for threads or stick a screwdriver in and slowly run it up the sides to feel for threads? I don't think it's threaded either but a closer inspection would help.

I did. I didn’t feel threads but I wanted to make sure before a made a move.

may just be a matter of the pin being real tight in the hole. Wouldn't surprise me. A lot of them need a little buffing in the bronze bushing to get the pin to fit all the way down. My old bass boat was like that. Unthreaded in the rear, threaded in the front. The original (1988) rear seat pedestal was kind of short, and the pin was short such that it didn't reach the bottom of the base plate bushing. So when I put an adjustable pededstal in, the pin was longer and was hitting on all of the junk that was built up since 1988, since the original pedestal didn't go all the way to the bottom. I actually used a brake cylinder hone to fix it, however another way is to use a 3/8 wood dowel, and cut a slot lengthwise in the dowel so a piece of folded sandpaper will fit in the slot. Then chuck it up in your drill motor and buff the bottom of the bushing a little.

Sometimes the pedestal base has a plastic clip that expands after it passes the bottom part of the base. if you get a pry bar under the pedestal it will pop it up.

Mine just push in with the clip but in order to get them out i have to turn it almost like its screwed in.
Maybe you could try that, turn it out as if it was screwed in. Shouldnt hurt anything unless there is some clip that needs to be released.

I was thinking about that plastic tab. I don’t believe the base has a spot for it. I may have to pick up one of each and just be done with it.

Latest posts