Gas smell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Had a gerry can break on the way to a launch a few days ago. A lot of the gas must have went out the drain plug but it was a long bumpy dirt road and some made it all the way to my front hatch.
Made to camp and found some vinegar put some in the boat after taking all the stuff out,helped a lot.When I get back to civilization in a day or two is there another product(pinesol etc.) ,that helps with the smell? Boat has a false floor sand its aluminum...c1652v.
I'm in the middle of no where right now but found 1 bar ...in the canoe.
Jerry can was older and the bottom cracked...so dont be a cheap a,, like me,especially if you might need that gas to get home.

Here are some ideas:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-gasoline-smell/

Since you are only getting 1 bar, here is the method that will probably be easiest:

HOW TO GET RID OF GASOLINE SMELL ON YOUR CAR’S UPHOLSTERY

PULL OUT YOUR PANTRY STAPLES
When a gas nozzle precariously peeks past an open car door during your fill-up, your vehicle’s interior may soak up a splash and leave you with upholstery that reeks. Fortunately for automobile drivers everywhere, the pungent scent of petrol doesn’t stand a chance against the triple threat of baking soda, vinegar, and hot water.

Mix a solution of equal parts baking soda, vinegar, and water.
Dip an old rag in the solution and gently rub it over the source of the stench in the car, whether its the seat cushion or fabric floor mat.

The friction created by the rag, combined with the stain-lifting and odor-fighting powers of baking soda and vinegar, eliminate gasoline stains and accompanying odor on contact.

You probably won't be wiping, but flushing it through areas that were contaminated.

My biggest worry is that it went under the floor and soaked into the foam. If that's the case, you will never get the smell completely out, but it will eventually lessen.

Im out the woods...thanks for the replies
I did have around 2 cups of old vinegar at the camp and put that in the front hatch, letting it sit before taking a rag and soaking it up. Thanks for the link copied, i have sodium bicarbonate here at home, so will try it with some more vinegar and water. I also has some pinesol at the camp, between that and the vinegar there isnt much smell anymore. Its like blood to a shark, doesnt take much to get our attention.
Not sure how much foam is in my floor section, thinking(hopeing) its just in the seats in the stern and in the bow on the sides of the hatch...time will tell i guess.

I have been saying for years. Those cheap big box store fuel tanks are all junk. I've seen more of them break than I can shake a stick at. They will absolutely ruin your day. Or week. I knew of one gentleman whose tank broke (3.3 gal) while fishing. He was a smoker. Filled the bottom of his 12' jon with fuel. He could have had a BIG problem. He had a big problem anyway with lung cancer but fire on a boat is never, ever good and I've seen plenty of them.

OEM tanks are the way to go. They are expensive. They are much better quality than the chinese aftermarket versions. If you have an Evinrude and need to switch the fittings, big deal-switch the fitting, or hybridize your fuel line like I did with dad's motor. Yamaha tank and Yamaha line with an Evinrude fitting to fit the motor. It's not rocket surgery.

turbotodd said:
I have been saying for years. Those cheap big box store fuel tanks are all junk. I've seen more of them break than I can shake a stick at. They will absolutely ruin your day. Or week. I knew of one gentleman whose tank broke (3.3 gal) while fishing. He was a smoker. Filled the bottom of his 12' jon with fuel. He could have had a BIG problem. He had a big problem anyway with lung cancer but fire on a boat is never, ever good and I've seen plenty of them.

OEM tanks are the way to go. They are expensive. They are much better quality than the chinese aftermarket versions. If you have an Evinrude and need to switch the fittings, big deal-switch the fitting, or hybridize your fuel line like I did with dad's motor. Yamaha tank and Yamaha line with an Evinrude fitting to fit the motor. It's not rocket surgery.

I understand that Scepter makes the portable tanks for Yamaha, Honda and others. I swapped out my original other brand tank, which developed a leak, to a 12 gallon portable Scepter brand.

turbotodd said:

This wasnt my main portable gas tank for the outboard, just a portable gas can, for extra gas that i might have needed. I just ended up canoeing more as i could of used more fuel. It was getting old, who knows how old,noticed it was turning alittle yellowish in one corner but used it anyways, totally my fault.
I do agree with you, buying quality fuel tank.

LDUBS said:
turbotodd said:

I understand that Scepter makes the portable tanks for Yamaha, Honda and others. I swapped out my original other brand tank, which developed a leak, to a 12 gallon portable Scepter brand.

I don't know who makes them for Yamaha. I do know that if Scepter makes them for Yamaha, they are a different production run than the OE Yamaha tanks. The material is MUCH thicker on the Yamaha tanks than any of the Scepter aftermarket tanks I've seen. I sold lots of Moeller and Attwood tanks because they were cheap. But they didn't last. The EPA in 2011 (I think) mandated that the tanks had to be made of low-permeation material and that in itself caused portable fuel tanks (and fuel line) prices to nearly double. So when you have a $40 Yamaha tank that doubles to $80, and you have a $22 Moeller that doubles to $44, the difference between $80 and $44 is what people see, and the majority of the time that's what people buy on-price-not so much quality. I'm guilty too.

Plastic Jerry cans are not much better. The newer ones are better than the older ones due to low perm material, but that doesn't guarantee they won't bust. Sore subject with me! Also, along with low perm, they also have a pressure vent. That tank is going to swell if you let it sit in the sun. It'll vent once pressure gets to a certain point but is the tank going to survive the swell? Some of them don't. Also--consider that today's gasoline sucks, and even if it is not sitting out in the sun, the pressure in the tank rises and falls dramatically compared to gasoline of not that long ago. Oxygenated; among other things.

What some folks don't think about is the quality and how that quality can ruin your day, or your life. I knew a guy, named Mike. Mike and I fished together quite a bit. He liked his cigarettes though. One afternoon he takes his boat by himself and runs to the lake to catch bluegill. Gosh he loved bluegill fishing! He had one of those cheap fuel tanks (I think moeller but I don't remember) bust open while it was sitting out in the sun and he threw down a cigarette like he normally did and whoof. In the middle of the lake. Lots and lots of burns. Didn't kill him but sure burned the crap out of him. Kidney failure is what killed him. He said It wasn't a lot of gas in the boat from broken seam in the tank, but how much does it take to make fire? Not much.