Clean Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
One of the reasons I got an aluminum boat is I didn't want to have to worry about a shiny finish. I think my boat had developed that highly sought after tin boat patina over the year or so since I've cleaned it. But, there comes a time when even I have to admit it is time to clean things up.

I've used this acid wash stuff on boats before and felt it left things looking kind of streaky/blotchy. Before I used West Marine brand aluminum cleaner. To be fair, I probably didn't adhere to the directions like I should have.

This time I tried Star Brite Aluminum Cleaner & Restorer that I had picked up at Walmart. For a change I actually followed the directions. Spray liberally from bottom to top. Rub with medium scrub pad. Rinse after 3 to 5 minutes. I did two applications to the worst part at the waterline.

At first it looks horrible. But after a few minutes things really start to even out and by the time it is rinsed it looks pretty good. Here is a before and after. There is still some blemish that a third application might help but this is good enough for me.

Before1.png

Before2.png

After.png

LDUBS said:
… to be fair, I probably didn't adhere to the directions like I should have.

This time I tried Star Brite Aluminum Cleaner & Restorer that I had picked up at Walmart. For a change I actually followed the directions.

RTFM, lol!

Huhh. My lower back and shoulders starting aching after I read this thread.

I'm going to get a cup of coffee and lie down for a while. I really need to get some staff for this maintenance work. :-$