Boat covering -- what do you do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTCrestliner

Reaction score
I'd like to hear what other people do about boat covering. I don't have a shelter under which I can park the trailer.

My past experience with tarps is they need to be on a peaked framework with rafters otherwise they sag and collect water. For winter storage that's fine, I can build something out of 2by4's to set on the boat. It doesn't need to be removed until spring.

But for summertime covering, where you want to be able to remove or put a cover up easily between fishing trips, what's your solution?

I should add that my boat is a simple basic open 14' aluminum utility fishing skiff with bench seats, no decks, windshields, consoles, or seat pedestals. I'd like a simple solution for covering it.

I bought a Carver brand Flex Fit boat cover. It covers the entire boat including the outboard. Has some elastic around the edges and straps/buckles to tie it down to the trailer frame. During the rainy season I use this adjustable tent pole thing with straps running up around the bow and back to the transom handles. When I cinch up the cover it is pretty tight and water does not puddle. During the non-rainy months, I just put the cover over the boat and don't worry about even tying it down. I've had the cover since 2018. I'm pretty sure I paid under $150. It is still holding up well.

My boat is an 18' walk-thru. I just start at the back, pull the cover to one side and roll it up in a bunch till I get to the bow. takes about 2 minutes. Just reverse that to put it back on.

BTW, I wouldn't pull the boat with this cover on. I doubt it would hold up. I see guys with those custom fit covers but those get real pricey real fast.

Here is a pic of the "tent pole" set up (from an on line advert). I figure a pic is going to be much better than my description.

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 5.23.23 PM.png

This g-d d-----d picture attachment b.s. - had a reply all ready and fussed with trying to get the s.o.b. pictures lined up and lost the whole d*****d post. Start over. Aaarggh.

OK, try again. With no center console, it's easy. I made a folding grab bar for both boats and they just lay down out of the way.

0N6845.JPG

ATTACH]
View attachment 2

0Cover.jpg

Sorry about picture quality - I just took this shot thru the porch screen with my phone.

For support, I made a simple X brace at the transom with a loose bolt pivot about 4" from the end. Bottom of the brace goes from chine to chine. You can "just" see the brace in front of the black motor.

(I give up on these pictures. They're close enuf to give the idea. I tried 3 times. What a PIA)

On the 12 ft boat, I used a bamboo pole; on the 16 ft, used the push pole but added a simple support on the center seat to remove sag as on the bamboo pole. Tie off bungees to length, then squeeze the hooks on the tarp side closed to prevent them coming off.

It takes a bit of practice, but now I can have the 16 ft covered or uncovered in about 2 or 3 minutes flat. They're just plain old hardware store tarps. Can't get any cheaper than that.....and they hold up surprisingly well.

Haven't tried it yet with the 16 - only recently got it going, but did tow the 12 ft about 150 miles on the highway at up to 70 mph with no problems. Wind just flattened the tarp against the boat with a minimum of fluttering. Just a bit of fraying at the transom corners.

Water (rain) doesn't pool at all on either boat. Just runs right off.

Latest posts