Looking at my first mod...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudge29

Reaction score
Can anyone help me id this boat? It measures 11'8" and the only identification I can find is a sticker than says "Desoto Mfg & Supply" model # TR-12. Is "Desoto" actually the manufacturer or just the dealer? Here are a couple pics...

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

I'm in the middle of replacing the transom. I only have a trolling motor right now, but what would the recommended horsepower be for the boat? I have access to a 28HP, but I'm worried that is way too much power?

Pudge, have you contacted that dealer to ask them?? that would be where I start.

About the HP, I would think a 28hp is a bit to much for it, others may disagree and it may can handle it, but I have a Lowe 1448 Big Jon and its rated for a 25hp. I think a 9.9 up to atmost a 20 HP would be more in its capacity.

What mods are you going to be doing to it? :D

I cannot find any info on the dealer...I think they must be out of business. The boat has a Missouri registration sticker from 1988. It has been at my grandfathers farm pond for 10 years or so, not sure where it was prior to that.

I don't want to sink a whole lot of money into the boat, maybe a simple front deck and a couple seats.

Do you really need to know the make in order to register it?? is that why you want to know?

For your front deck spent a few $ extra and brace it with Aluminum L, you will never have to replace it. good luck

Curiosity mainly....I don't need it for registration, although they will want to know the model year. I called the DMV and if it's prior to 1971 the Hull ID# is not needed. I can't find any numbers on the back of the boat, so I'm assuming it's prior to '71.

About the aluminum...where do you recommend purchasing? I checked the local Lowe's/Home Depot and they were both over $20 for an 8' piece.

Oh yea, NEVER buy from a large store like that, its a rip off. Local scrapyards or fabrication shops can get it for you cheap. I purchased 2 - 25' peices of 1" x 1" x 1/8" recently for $54....just check around and don't believe anything you see in those rip off chain stores.

https://www.tennesseeboats.com/manufacturers/

What's the beam on it? looks narrow, so I'd agree with your thoughts of not adding too much to 'er, or adding an elevated platform.

ST

OK, I've been working on the boat and here are some pictures. I've decided to build lower middle deck and a raised front deck.

I've almost completed the middle deck (easier of the two). I just need to finish the carpet install.

I found this carpet at Wal-mart for $9 (36" x 72"), so who cares if it rots in 6 months, I'll go buy more. I have about $30 in wood and miscellaneous fasteners.

I'll try posting more pics when I do the front deck.

boat3.jpg
I attached a 1" x 2" strip with toggle bolts to each seat. This will support the 2" x 2" supports. I did not drill/rivet/puncture the hull in anyway during the install, so no worries about leakage.
boat4.jpg
boat5.jpg
boat7.jpg
boat8.jpg
boat10.jpg
The middle support was fastened to the middle rib using a self-tapping metal screw. I'll need to add a small spacer to fill this gap.
boat11.jpg
Plywood/Carpet install went fairly quickly...
boat13.jpg
boat15.jpg

off to a great start. i have a 1232, in my opinion dont go overboard with the decking, especially with wood. i did a front and back deck and it added a little bit too much weight for my liking.

I am about to do my boat which looks about the same size as yours but I do just floor boards, elevated platforms make these boats really unstable...

I put an elevated chair on my last boat and that scared me, never find a whole platform...

Also, I have seen other people who have done the platform and then endup taking it off...

1. Stability do to center of gravity.
2. The extra weight make the boat move slow.

Also, my boat always get messy so carpet is something I am planing on staying away from.

Painted floor boards seems like the way to go....

you've done an awesome job!

I've got a 1236 Alumacraft, and it is rated for up to a 15hp... I would think you would be fine if you don't go over that.

One thing you can do is move the battery to the middle bench seat, and it will make the weight in the boat distributed more evenly. I did this (i have 2 batteries in the middle bench) and it makes a big difference in my opinion... If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out the "Alumacraft 1236 Makeover" link in the Boat Modification page

Latest posts