New guy, and a pic of my yacht

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micropterus

Reaction score
Howdy. Just joined the site and I think it's great that there's a site for us metal-boat owners.

I live in southeastern Virginia. I fish electric-only and some horsepower restricted lakes. I also fish some larger lakes (Chickahominy Reservoir) and some tidal rivers and creeks (Chickahominy River, Morris Ceek).

Here's a pic of my yacht. It's a Tracker Grizzly 1548L with a Merc 9.9 hp 4 stroke and a 55 lb thrust power drive. Fish finder is an Eagle 500C. It's no Ranger, but it gets the job done:

Attachments

• yacht.jpg
    yacht.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3,264
welcome.gif

nice rig look forward to reading some reports frm your neck of the woods
Wayne

I try to target bass, but will take anything. I'm particulary fond of big bluegills on light tackle. I have a sweet area at Chickahominy Reservoir that produces some big honkin' bluegill. I'm as happy with those as anything else.

Nice boat, all i gotta fish out of is a canoe with a trolling motor most of the time.. Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, no, I I own both, and the welded boat has its troubles. The two riveted boats shouldn't leak anytime soon, and it is MUCH easier (and cheaper) to fix rivets than welds.

pbw said:
Are the all weld boats that much better?

Couldn't tell you. Rivets can leak. Welds can crack.

I got a welded boat because it was in the configuration I wanted. It's also got a lifetime hull warranty.

micropterus said:
pbw said:
Are the all weld boats that much better?

Couldn't tell you. Rivets can leak. Welds can crack.

I got a welded boat because it was in the configuration I wanted. It's also got a lifetime hull warranty.

very well said!! They both have there up and downs!!

fishnfever

Nice rig :) Any plans to add decking and such?

As far as welds vs. rivets, here's my take - If you're fishing with a trolling motor only, it's no problem, the rivets get beat when you use an outboard, and the boat is constantly slapping the water. A small HP outboard, or one that will just push, but not plane the boat is OK, IMO, where I wouldn't buy a riveted boat for a boat I intended to place an outboard on that's large enough to make it plane. Fixing either isn't a really big problem, but it's time consuming for sure. I'm also not sure they make the mod-v's in a riveted boat, but I could be wrong.

I hear a lot about the rivets leaking on boats, and all of them are second or third owner boats that have been around for years and years, there comes a point and time where you got your money's worth, and hammering the rivets back is just a part of the maintenance :)

dampeoples said:

Already did. I've put in a floor and carpet. It already had a casting deck. I reinforced that with a plywood top and added carpet.

My 9.9 began running horribly 3 weeks ago. I took it in for warrantly work and ended up trading it in for a 15hp 4 stroke with electric start. Should be here next week. Should give me a little more top-end speed and I won't have to pull a rope anymore to get it started. :p

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,597
micropterus said:
dampeoples said:

Already did. I've put in a floor and carpet. It already had a casting deck. I reinforced that with a plywood top and added carpet.

My 9.9 began running horribly 3 weeks ago. I took it in for warrantly work and ended up trading it in for a 15hp 4 stroke with electric start. Should be here next week. Should give me a little more top-end speed and I won't have to pull a rope anymore to get it started. :p

Nice man! That is huge! Faster, smoother, and less headache!

Awesome! :D

The biggest Largemouth bass on the planet would fit in that boat, no problem :)

And great fuel economy too !

My kind of boat :)

Have fun, be safe, and stick a PIG !

Fish Chris

Latest posts