Transom Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Reaction score
We have answered questions about replacing transoms before, but I don't think there is a play by play of the process. Therefore, I am going to post up pics and descriptions of "a" way of doing this. Bear with me guys cause this may take some time to complete since my wife and I are expecting our first born anytime now. So without further ado:
Doesn't look to bad , but I had my suspicions that 19 years have taken its toll. The only weak areas present from this view were under the weight limit tag.

100_1184.jpg

100_1191.jpg

First thing to remove were all the bolts. Then it was time to remove the rivets. After trying a few options, I came up with a relatively easy way to do it. I took my dremel and a large cut off wheel and cut an X into the head being careful not to go to deep. Then I used an old worn out chisel to "shear" off the head. I removed the bottom and side brackets as well as the support that runs from the transom to the floor.
100_1181.jpg

100_1182.jpg

Went a little to deep with the dremel on this one.
100_1183.jpg

Don't forget to remove the blind rivets holding on the hull ID tag if applicable. On both boats that I have done before, these rivets would not allow the wood to slide out properly. You can see here how far in the wood they went.
100_1193.jpg

As you can now see after removal, the dry rot was more than could be seen before. The majority of the rot was along the bottom edge as well as the bottom corners.
100_1188.jpg

100_1187.jpg

100_1189.jpg

Now it's off to get some ply to continue this project. Stay tuned :mrgreen

Got a little more done this evening. Cut two pieces of ply and glued em up. I am sure it will be set by the time I get back to it cause the wife is going into the hospital tomorrow evening. Maybe we can get this stubborn son of ours to come on out into the world. =D> . Be back soon.
100_1195-1.jpg

100_1197-2.jpg

Moving right along. I used the old transom as a template to cut the new one out as well as drill all the holes that are needed. I soaked the new wood, especially the edges, with some water sealer.
100_1203.jpg

For the holes that I drilled, I put my finger under one end while filling it with some sealer letting it soak in for a few seconds. I tried to use tape to plug the hole, but since I had put it on the rest of the wood first it wouldn't stick.
100_1202.jpg

100_1201.jpg

After it was dry, I Painted on some flat black oil based enamel just for extra measures. I got the replacement rivets in today, so she should be back together soon.

Everyting is bolted and riveted back up. It has been completed for some time now, but I haven't had a chance to post pics. So here is the end result.
Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Updated!!!

Yeah the baby is here. 4 weeks old now. Before he was born, I could have finished this in 2 days :lol: but now my priorities have changed.

fowlmood77 said:
Updated!!!

Yeah the baby is here. 4 weeks old now. Before he was born, I could have finished this in 2 days :lol: but now my priorities have changed.
congrats on your kid is it a boy or girl =D>

fowlmood77 said:
Updated!!!

I feel for you brother. I'm in the same (tin) boat. A baby turns your whole world upside down... in a good way of course.

Congrats on the baby boy! My first was a boy. I have to admit I was a little glad he was a boy. Partly because he is the only name carrying boy out of all nine of my father's grandchildren. My brother had two girls and quit.

Sorry gang for getting so far off topic.

Four weeks old!!!! Need him out there now with a hammer in his hand...LOL Congrats on the new addition and good work on the transom. I am going to have to change my transom wood when the weather fairs up.