Storage Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Okay, I've learned a lot about winter storage & prep for the baot & motor (change oil, pull plugs & spray (fog) cylinders, grease, oil, Stabil ,etc) but I recently learned even more when someone posted that you should loosen the tie-downs on the transom anytime your garaging between trips.

So... Getting ready for winter storage - besides what's mention above, what else do I need to know??????

Should I let the motor down or keep it trimmed up? With or without he transom saver? I know most hydraulics are kept out (under pressure) when stored - same for the motor trim? or, should it be left hanging down.

Should I loosen up the rear tie downs? What about the front strap (winch, whatever it's called) should I take the tension off it too??

I drained the oil last year and left the lower unit empty for the winter, but someone said to re-fill with fresh oil for storage, not empty?

So..any help here for BOTH long & short term storage (1-3 weeks between fishing trips & several cold winter months) for the motor and boat/trailer?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

My owners manual recommends leaving the motor down while not in use. I've stored my rig on jack stands too, to prevent flat spots on the tires.

I loosen the stern starps and the bow strap between all trips, and during winter storage. Drain the lower unit and refill with new lube. Store the motor in the down (vertical position). Will your rig be outside during the winter? My rig is, and I also put a good coat of wax on the trailer, treat the tires with MeGuiar's gel tire treatment, then cover them with plastic once the tirte treatment had dried. I also wrap a large heavy-duty trash bag around the trailer tongue and also the bow winch and strap, to keep the weather off of them. I also used to make a wind block out of old sleeping pads to go around the motor. Probably overkill on the wrapping stuff, but that's how I kept my Tracker in decent shape, especially during the winter months.

Here's a pic of the Tracker and my current rig almost prepped for winter. I had yet to wrap the tires when the pic was taken.
covered_boats.JPG

Here's a pic of the Tracker a different year with the motor wind block and tires wrapped.
windbreak.JPG

Keep something in mind......plastic will trap moisture (condensation), and can actually cause sweating throughout the sun-up/sun-down periods. You'd probably be better-off using nothing as opposed to plastic. Try & find an old canvas tarp at a yard sale & stitch-up some covers, as it (canvas) will "breathe".

ST

SlimeTime said:
Keep something in mind......plastic will trap moisture (condensation), and can actually cause sweating throughout the sun-up/sun-down periods. You'd probably be better-off using nothing as opposed to plastic. Try & find an old canvas tarp at a yard sale & stitch-up some covers, as it (canvas) will "breathe".

ST

I agree.I have aquired a motorcycle that was tarped for a couple years.The steel is rusted and aluminum has corroded.Not worth restoring so it's a parts source.Northern tool has canvas tarps on sale,or did.I was looking at them this past week.Keep an angle on the tarp and water should shed off.There are some water repellent sprays out there for canvas.Check Army Navy stores.Their canvas tarps are usually water proof.

Here is what I do for "winterization," that I wouldn't do if leaving it in the summer.
1) Drain and replace lower unit lube.
2) Store with motor down after each trip, instead of leaving on motor toter like I do in the summer.

That is it.
I drain the lube then, as a little water isn't going to hurt the gears for some time, but if it freezes, it will crack the LU casing. So, if it has water in it, I will take the necessary measures to fix that before it freezes.

In the summer, I leave the motor tilted up. All my motors are pin drive motors, without thru hull exhaust, so it isn't as important on them, but in the winter, I do tilt them down, as otherwise, there still is some residual water left in the motor. That could freeze, and destroy the whole motor midsection.

And, I still use my motor regularly in the winter. Gawsh, I sure love not having snow, or frozen lakes around here. :D :D

SlimeTime said:
Keep something in mind......plastic will trap moisture (condensation), and can actually cause sweating throughout the sun-up/sun-down periods. You'd probably be better-off using nothing as opposed to plastic. Try & find an old canvas tarp at a yard sale & stitch-up some covers, as it (canvas) will "breathe".ST

I agree, canvas tarps are good, but I had the Tracker covered like you see in the pic (there's also a cover from Walmart under the tarp) since late winter of 2004 until early 2008 when I sold it. Never had a problem with any condensation the entire time. My current rig gets the same treatment. The covers are not airtight as the wind tends to get under the cover around the curvature of the bow, so that may provide the breathing necessary to eliminate moisture under the cover.
headscratch_shrug_smilie.gif

fowlmood77 said:
Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund said:
I pay the techs where I got my boat $750 for winterizing/summerize and keep the batteries charged and shrink wrapped.
:shock: $750 :shock:

Ya man, thats with everything included. Don't forget my motor is a 225hp Mercury Optimax and I have a 9.9hp Mercury Pro kicker. 20ft boat. This is with the storage as well.

I pay the techs where I got my boat $750 for winterizing/summerize and keep the batteries charged and shrink wrapped.

Any chance you're last name is Gates......and you're my long-lost daddy??? :p

lol
ST

fowlmood77 said:
:shock: $750 :shock:

Ya man, thats with everything included. Don't forget my motor is a 225hp Mercury Optimax and I have a 9.9hp Mercury Pro kicker. 20ft boat. This is with the storage as well.

And as you live in Canada you probably have a longer storage time than some of us. I was quoted $200 to winterize my 90, $10/foot to shrink warp (19.6 footer = 20 feet in their eyes) and $225 to store it from Nov to Mar. $625.00 total. Not happening, I'll winterize it myself and get another tarp to put over my boat cover and park it at my house like I do all year anyhow.

we don't have steelheads but we also get very little snow. no disrespect but i will leave the snow and steelheads for you .i would freeze in conditions like that

my wife says i am crazy when i am out fishing and it 30 degrees .if i lived up there and was fishing at below 0 she would probably have me committed

Back in 2006 we were steelhead fishing all the way to the weekend before Xmas. It was nice. I got my Quantum Energy PTi spinning reel and Quantum Accurist PT casting reels in january and tried them out lol.

Latest posts