Tarp and Wires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to place the troling battery in the front of the boat to help balance the weight.

What kind of wire do you recommend to run from the back to the front of the boat.

Would 14 gauge be okay ? I was thinking of runing an extention cord with regular AC plugs.

Also, I need a tarp to cover the boat to keep the water out when it rains since my boat does not have a plug...

Walmart only has a 12ft x 24ft for $15, that is an ackward size, I wonder if any of you know where to best get a tarp that would fit a boat better, like 8ft by 14ft.

SVNET said:
Walmart only has a 12ft x 24ft for $15, that is an ackward size, I wonder if any of you know where to best get a tarp that would fit a boat better, like 8ft by 14ft.

Lowes and Home Depot have tarps and they are a bit better quality than the ones at WM.

Would 14 gauge be okay ? I was thinking of runing an extention cord with regular AC plugs.

Match the wire size to the trolling motor wire, and I would not suggest using a regular AC plug, use a closed water proof plug, those are grounded internally in case of water contact. If you have other electronics up front run a "trunk" line wire maybe 10/12 guage up to the bow area to a fuse box and then you can branch off that with the same guage wire your devices use.

Also, I need a tarp to cover the boat to keep the water out when it rains since my boat does not have a plug...

Since you have no drain hole, I strongly suggest getting a boat cover designed for your style and size boat, OR and this is what I would do, install a drain hole.

smoody said:

Match the wire size to the trolling motor wire, and I would not suggest using a regular AC plug, use a closed water proof plug, those are grounded internally in case of water contact. If you have other electronics up front run a "trunk" line wire maybe 10/12 guage up to the bow area to a fuse box and then you can branch off that with the same guage wire your devices use.

Since you have no drain hole, I strongly suggest getting a boat cover designed for your style and size boat, OR and this is what I would do, install a drain hole.

How do you install a drain plug on the boat ?

14 ga is way too small for a TM. I posted a link recently which gave wire-size per amps & length of run.

If you shop at WM, why not just buy a cheap boat cover? Then you don't have to fight all the bungee cords & poor fit of a tarp.

ST

I would think one of these should work. I'm planning on doing the same thing (if my boat ever gets fixed) and this is what I was going to use in the 15' legth; https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52545____SearchResults.
Anyone know anything about thios cable setup?

SlimeTime said:
...If you shop at WM, why not just buy a cheap boat cover?...

I do, $50 each, lol.

SlimeTime said:
...Then you don't have to fight all the bungee cords & poor fit of a tarp.ST

I use a cover and a tarp (in the winter), lol.
crazy_face.gif

I had one of the $50 ones (3 yr warranty I believe) a few years ago and a couple of the tie-down loops started pulling loose (threads). It was still within warranty so I took it back to Walmart. All I wanted to do was exchange it foe a new one. No receipt, no exchange. Was told to call Harbor Master (maker of cover) so I did. Still needed my receipt :roll: . Now the kicker is I went back to walmart and went ahead and bought a new one. The box was taped-up as yopu would expect a new box. Guess what!? Got home, opened the box..................................and pulled-out a used cover! :x . Took that sucker right back!

WW- I'll probably do the same & use a heavier tarp (with support underneath) over the boat cover, just to help keep the weather & sun off it that much more. During fishing "season", it's just too big of a pain to try & use a tarp for a decent cover if you fish much.

ST

Well,

As all of you know, boating is an expensive hobby and I am always in a budget, so...

The cheapest cover at walmart which seems way too big for my boat is $50, not even a custom fit...

I was more looking for a $20 solution to the dilemma...

I will check harbor freight next time I am in Ocala, I never been to that store and keep hearing about it.

With regard to the Trolling motor, the current wires are 10 gauge, but again, there are no pre-made extension cord 10 g.

Building one from scratch comes out a bit more expensive, but with the cord I will just have to buy the bullet and do it right...

I do not want to be stranded in the middle of no where because of electrical issues.

Water proof plug, I went to walmart and Lowes and did not see any, so I need suggestions of where to get those.

With regard making a rear plug, how do I go about that ?

SV- 3rd pic down on the right side. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/c/240006/Drain+Plugs.html

Cut a hole in the lowest point of the transom, secure the receiver (piece that you put the plug into) according to directions (for a waterproof seal) insert the plug & you're done.

ST

Water proof plug, I went to walmart and Lowes and did not see any, so I need suggestions of where to get those.

SVNET, any MARINE plug/outlet will be ok, I was just suggesting not to use a regular household drop cord, I doubt the packaging will say "waterproof", but the marine plugs usually have rubber/plastic housings that secure the connection and keep out water and some are grounded within the plug. a boating store will have anything you need, ie. boatersworld, basspro, walmart just carries the basics.

The trolling motor wire should be 6 gauge. Some people will use jumper cable wire. If you put to small of wire, the wire will overheat. When you make the connections to the trolling motor you can drop down to the 10 gauge wire.

"One size fits all" doesn't apply to wiring....amperage & run (wire length) are 2 critical factors.

Look here, at the bottom & you'll find a chart which gives the correct size wire regarding the motor amperage & length the wiring needs to be:
https://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm

ST

Well, today has been a day of revelations and fresh ideas...

To run wires from the bow to the transom, the car jumper wire does the trick. Thank you so much for the idea.

I went to Home Depot to check out the wires and plugs, guess what, the guy who came to help me pick the wires
is a master angler who actually has his own business of fishing charters on the open sea.

The guy gave me tons of ideas and suggestions for a bunch of things that I can do to my boat.

He told me that if I seat on the middle bench and with the battery there and operate the trolling motor from there,
I will have better steering and won't have to run any additional wires, so that is next....

He will be running one of his paid tours in a couple of weeks but he said if I show up with my own boat and equipment, I can tail gate the group for free, learn the fishing spots in the area and pick up tips on fishing... Not a bad deal...

You never know who you will meet, today was a lucky day.

So I am getting a second seat for the middle and I will install a side transom to hang the trolling motor next to the middle bench.

From the middle bench to the bow is too far so I don't know I could operate the boat motor from there, so I am thinking of having it right next to the middle bench. I wonder how easy would be to steer and operate the boat with the motor on the side instead of the front or back.

So.... I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am getting so attached to this boat, I don't know what I am going to do when a better one shows up... If I could only find a 4HP kicker for it...

Thanks for all the advice and tips.

I will report on after testing all the new upcoming mods...

You're going to clamp the motor to the side of the hull, in the middle, and operate it from there?

ST

Latest posts