Work on the Gray Ghost

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
I determined my problem is the starter on the Merc, so I took it off. Haven't torn into it to see what the problem is yet.
ob-apart.jpg

I found some locks at Menards the other day ($3.75 each), and got then all on today before I swept the boat out from yesterdays trip. They're gold, they didn't have silver....not a huge problem, security over cosmetics :wink: ....for now.
lock-os.jpg

Inside
lock-is.jpg

Rear hatches had an angle flange, so no problem. However the fronts had a "wall", so I sliced a catch for the latch with a Dremel wheel.
hatchflange.jpg

Adding a couple interior shots, while it's clean :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ST
t-front.jpg

t-rear.jpg

boat looks good,to bad about your starter can you get it rebuilt or can you do it yourself.the locks look good i have all the locks on mine just dont have a key i wonder if i could get a key made it might be cheaper to buy the locks

Thanks guys.....DD, I had to have a key made for 1 of the locks on the rod locker (both sides weren't keyed the same), cost me $5 for and that was for 2 keys. I took the lock off & took it to a locksmith.

ST

Oh.....and I won't know about the fate of the starter until I take it apart :wink:

ST

The inside looks great, I need to add locks to my storage myself. Sorry about your starterbut I'm sure you'll find a way to have it repaired. Great pics.

i kinda thought that it would be cheaper to put new locks in plus they will be new only thing is there is no Menard's here can you order on line from them

Thanks BnB! DD- I'd have no problem picking-up a few for you & shipping them (for whatever it all cost me), problem is they'd probably be gold.

ST

thanks slime time i will look around here a little i would hate to put you through all that trouble with your leg the way it is but i appreciate the offer

dedawg1149 said:
thanks slime time i will look around here a little i would hate to put you through all that trouble with your leg the way it is but i appreciate the offer

Not a problem, I'm 5 minutes from Menards & 10 minutes from the Post Office....keep it in mind, it wouldn't be a problem for me.

ST

Awesome boat! If you need help finding a starter, let me know. I work for a parts company and we have store in Indiana, shouldn't be very hard to find it for you and might be able to get you a pretty good deal.

jrfan88 said:
Awesome boat! If you need help finding a starter, let me know. I work for a parts company and we have store in Indiana, shouldn't be very hard to find it for you and might be able to get you a pretty good deal.

Thanks! I'm going to have to get out the cheapest way I can, but of course with a dependable repair. If it's something I can repair (brushes or something sililar) I'll have to weigh the cost against a replacement starter. lol....was a rough week, new trolling motor, then had to get a new 'puter, and a $100 fishing trip (which netted 3-$33.00 apiece fish...lol).

What do you need to PM me a priceon a new starter, the starter # or motor info? I might let you check on it in the meantime if it's not a problem.

Thanks!
ST

What exactly is the issue with the starter? I would start at the source, and make sure the starter solenoid gets voltage, then make sure the starter solenoid is working correctly. A lot of older starter solenoids like to get a little cranky. Check and make sure your motor doesn't have a starter fuse that has blown. For some reason, a few of the OMCs had a fuse on the starter.

Lastly, check and make sure there are no neutral safety switches that haven't caught. Not long after I got my Yazoo in the water, I was at the lake for a 3 day weekend with the scout troop. Ran the motor for awhile, then the starter solenoid apparently crapped. Next morning, went home, grabbed solenoid off a parts motor, bench tested it, and put it in. Nothing. Took it out, bench tested both, and they both worked 12 out of 12 times. Went and rechecked all the voltages one last time. Turns out, the neutral safety switch (switch that doesn't allow it to start in neutral) hadn't been engaged all the way, even though the motor was in neutral. All I needed to do was wiggle the shifter, a 1.5 second fix, that was turned into a 4 hour ordeal (including the time spent fetching the Snap-on tools off the lake bottom, as all the work was done while anchored).

The starter motor just kind of groans, won't spin fast enough to engage the bendix.

ST

Latest posts