Carpet or Tuff Coat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfan88

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth probably a hundred times and I can't make up my mind...carpet or tuff coat? I'm leaning towards the tuff coat for two reasons: 1) The lake I usually fish doesn't have a boat ramp and I always track a little mud in the boat when launching. I like the idea of using the coating so I can just wash the boat out. 2) I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to carpet. I might be able to figure it out, but I know I can apply paint. I like the carpeting over the tough coat for it's sound deadening though.

But, what does everyone recommend? Anyone want to come to Villa Rica, GA for a carpeting project and some FREE BBQ?

You make a good point concerning the carpet and mud, and the tuff coat sounds ideal for ease of cleaning, but as stated, there's the noise issue. If I had to deal with no ramps and mud, I'd go with the tuff coat. Carpet can be cleaned though :wink:

Tuff-Coat it, then find some crappy carpet someone's gonna trash & cut a couple pieces to fit your boat. After it's good & "used"....roll it up & pitch it. You can still hose the boat out & have your cake & eat it too :wink:

ST

SlimeTime said:
Tuff-Coat it, then find some crappy carpet someone's gonna trash & cut a couple pieces to fit your boat. After it's good & "used"....roll it up & pitch it. You can still hose the boat out & have your cake & eat it too :wink: ST

Good idea and problem solved! 8)

tuff coat it then put in some rubber mats tractor supply sells them that way it would dampen any noise plus you can take them out and spray it down

Having used both, I wouldn't go with either. I made the mistake of putting carpet in my last boat, which is an all around boat, used for all species, in both big bodies of water, as well as small ones with no docks. The only time I can see using carpet again is in a larger bass or walleye boat that is always launched in large lakes with concrete ramps and nice docks, and that don't have the issue of spilling the bait tank, and all the shad guts out.

I didn't like the Tuff Coat either. The idea is nice, just didn't like the quality of it. It is basically an oil based paint with bits of shredded tire in it. Doesn't always go on smoothly, especially in the odd shapes of a boat. Plus, it is very rough on bare feet and knees. I would probably go with a duracoat or something that a few members on here have used. It has texture for grip, but doesn't have the texture of NEGATIVE 3000 grit sandpaper.

trhere is nothing wrong with carpet, if it is properly layed down .i have had seferal boats that i multi specie fish out of and luanch without a ramp never had a issus with them .i would just take it to the carwash when i gotdone fishing so the stuff dont bake on

I'd tuff coat, then put carpet over it... look in the remnants section at lowes for the rubber backed carpet. I got almost 20 feet, when it was labled as 10'.... easy to work with too.

I think my dog stayed in my boat while I was gone on vacation... my back yard is pretty much a red mud pit (i'm in GA too...) and my gray carpet was red. I just hosed it off with the water hose and voila - clean carpet.

Latest posts