Decking Thickness......V Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
Getting a new g3 Guide V16 and will be putting in flooring between the seats. Am thinking marine plywood but don't know what thickness will work the best.....will be framing under it so it will have ample support, but have not a clue on what the proper thickness would have to be.

Thanks for your help, it's muchly appreciated. Mac

Welcome Mac! I would use 3/4" (I don't like a springy floor), and wouldn't spend the extra for Marine Grade. Most lumberyards sell smaller (1/2 & 1/4) sheets of plywood, go pick up a similar size piece in both 5/8" & 3/4" thickness, also price full sheets......there isn't a tremendous amount of difference in either situation. Just seal things good.

ST

Thanks to you all for responding.

Slime Time, I'm now thinking of exterior grade plywood painted with a couple good coats of oil based enamel, then applying marine carpeting over that and making them in sections that could be lifted for dryinig out between outings. By sections, I mean not attaching them to the floor of the boat, but leaving them "float". I have bulkheads coming all the way down from the seats so the flooring sections including the under-framing won't be shifting anyhow.

Another option would be to include several trap doors for shallow storage and leaving the traps open for drying when needed.

I'm also intending on framing so the under-the-floor supports are resting mainly on the metal braces running across the deck. The framing will be oil painted as well.

Would appreciate anyone's comeback on this post.....you can tell I'm new to mods. Thanks again for all your help, Mac

Let me clarify something 1st. When Imentioned picking-up a smaller piece of plywood, it was to compare the little weight difference between the two. That said.....if you seal/paint the plywood completely.....there's not much chance of water getting into it, and construction plywood is 1/3 the cost.

ST

To add to the painting aspect, I painted the exterior plywood I used for a roof on a dog house (4'x6' roof). I used exterior acrylic enamel paint (2 coats), and it lasted about 10 yrs, exposed to all the elements. Just replaced it last week.

Unless those pieces fit real snug I would attach them at least in the corners with some S/S screws. Nothing like having a deck plate shift when you're standing up fighting a fish.

Now that things are getting conceptualized, I'm planning on making the plywood a close, but not tight fit on the ends and sides, then when I put on the carpet, I'll slit it diagonally on the corners and fit the carpeting around the edges and under the plywood an inch or two. The carpeting will snug the fit against the ends and sides.....in short, if I do it right, It won't be able to move because of the fit.....also due to the fact that it will be a fairly large piece also being held down by the fisherman's weight against the framing and ultimately the floor (hull braces).

Thanks for your input.....Mac

Just posted pics of Macs boat for him.......it's a nice 'un!!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=139&start=270

ST

For those of you who may want a picture.....Slime Time posted a couple pics at the beginning of the Boat Talk Forum in the post a pic thread. It's on page 28 of that thread. Thanks again Slime Time!!! Just read Slime Time's post just before this one...whoooops.....

Waterwings, good point. I'll mount something in the metal bulkheads just above the flooring sections to prevent the fly out from happening. I'll have to give it some thought as I want the flooring sections moveable so as to dry them out from time to time.....particularly after getting caught in the occasional rain. Thanks and Good Fishing, Mac

Latest posts