Plywood edges and marine carpet = split edges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
I was at the local fuel station waiting in line to get fuel.I saw a jon conversion while waiting.The carpet looked brand new but the edges of the wood was splitting the carpet.3 things that cause this is,wood has sharp edges,pulling the carpet way to tight,and no glue or not enough.Staples will pull through over time with out glue.Loose decks will cause the carpet to chafe through also.I always cut my corners round and use sand paper to round over the edges.Check the labels on glue.Contact cement needs both the wood and carpet coated.Let it sit until it becomes tacky.Then pull the carpet tight and staple the edges under the bottom edge of the wood.Most everyone knows this,but a few do not.I felt the need to post this because of rising supply cost and save some time on rework.I would hate to know I dropped $300+ on a deck job just to have the carpet split at the edges.Not all carpet will do this.Some carpet has a thicker backing than others.Seeing how nice that guys boat is and how the carpet was splitting just made me cringe.

Ben2Go, thanks for posting. Am going to start decking and carpeting a floor in my V boat shortly. You posted just in time. Thanks for the info. Good Fishing, Mac

Mac said:
Ben2Go, thanks for posting. Am going to start decking and carpeting a floor in my V boat shortly. You posted just in time. Thanks for the info. Good Fishing, Mac

You're welcome.
Waterwings said:
Good post Ben2go! 8)

Thanks.

SlimeTime said:
Did you help save a poor lost soul & direct him to TB.net??? :p

ST

I was in a hurry and didn't see the driver or anyone around the truck.Probably a potty stop and fuel for the trip home. :LOL2: The misses had just cleaned the truck out and she took the note pad and pen.I know the vehicle and boat,so maybe they are around close by and I will catch them out.

ben2go said:
I was in a hurry and didn't see the driver or anyone around the truck.

That's when an extra TB decal would come in handy.......

lol....OK, I'm just kidding :twisted:

ST

Another cause of carpets splitting at the edges can occur when the edges of the plywood are not properly sealed, either with adhesive or paint. When the edges of plywood get wet, they swell.

Mac said:
Another cause of carpets splitting at the edges can occur when the edges of the plywood are not properly sealed, either with adhesive or paint. When the edges of plywood get wet, they swell.

Didn't think of that. #-o

To prevent the edges from getting wet on my deck, I put silicone around all the edges before gluing the carpet down. Siliconed the edges, let it dry, glued all the way around the edge and onto the back and then used staples to secure it. Haven't had any problems yet.