New Transom.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
This is my first post.
I bought a 1971 Wards Sea King 14' Jon boat last week and a 1969 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5hp the week before that. The motor runs great, it has been serviced at the same dealer since new. I got it from the son of the original owner. The man I bought the boat from was selling several projects to focus on the restoration of a WWII Duck. Other than the missing transom the boat is in very good condition none of the rivets leak but there is a small seam leak where the floor meets the bow. I made a cardboard template for the transom. I gorilla glued two pieces of 1/2 plywood together then cut to shape which seems to be all that was there when new. I added a piece of 1x6 oak to the transom so I can go to a larger motor if I want. I painted it with 3 coats of acrylic latex primer sealer and 3 coats of a lifetime exterior latex tinted to match the boat. I used stainless steel 1/4x20 bolts, nuts, washers and 3m 4200 fast cure to install the transom. I will be taking the boat to a welder this week to have the rear corner caps welded back on and fix the bow leak. I have ordered a blind and seats from cabelas as this will be my duck hunting boat. I also will be putting down a 3/4 plywood deck on 2x4's. My nephew want a casting deck up front I will be making it removable so I can still hunt with it.

Sounds like you did a great job.
Can't wait for the pictures.

A 69 motor serviced at the same dealer all those years.That doesn't happen to often,great find.

Forgot to say WELCOME.

SlimeTime said:
:postpics:

:WELCOME:
ST
I know, I know. My camera or computer is not working right. Along with the fact I have know idea how to post pics.
The race teams I work with I burn cd's for.
So "Imagine" a green boat with a new transom!

Welcome to your newest addiction.. I can't seem to get away from this website.

Sounds like your on your way to a great project. I made my front and rear decks removable as well. Makes for easy cleaning and I can take out the front if my dog decides he wants to go.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
SlimeTime said:
:postpics:

:WELCOME:
ST
I know, I know. My camera or computer is not working right. Along with the fact I have know idea how to post pics.
The race teams I work with I burn cd's for.
So "Imagine" a green boat with a new transom!

lol....guys like pics......boats, women, women in boats.....but we're somewhat "limited" to the pics of the ladies we can see here, so we have to lean towards boat pics. What you're asking is kinda like imagining a babe in a bikini.......just ain't quite the same :wink: :(

ST

I took my boat to the welders today. He reattached the corner pieces to the transom and fixed the split seam at the bow he did a great job only $30. I built an engine stand from 2x4's then I changed the lower unit oil and ran the motor. It started on the 2nd pull and ran great. I will try to get it on the fox river on wed's for some speed runs. Then this weekend it's cat fishing with my nephew.

Good deal! Man, $30 is more than a fair price for welding her up. Sounds like you're ready to spray some water!

ST

Latest posts