Finally found the one!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
Well,

I could not help but to be excited, finally scored a boat that I like and a deal I am proud off.

But so far it has turned out to be as much of a nightmare as it is a dream come true...

I will write the full story and post some pictures as soon as I get home.

As you know already, the things that happens to me doesn't happen to anyone...

Until then, I will leave guessing...

Regards...

dedawg1149 said:
i aint mean i didnt mean anything negative about it .he does usally write good post with a lot of photos,

No, I meant SV for not spillin' his guts & making us wait :wink:

ST

Sorry guys, I know you all been waiting on the great news, it is a good one, you will like it...

Short Story,

I finally found the one, a flat bottom jon boat that is not too old and has everything I wanted included.
I found a 1992 12ft Gamefisher Jon boat with matching 5HP motor and a galvanized trailer, all for $500.
The deal included cushions seats, trolling motors, battery, 2 anchors, gas tank/lines.
The motor idles fine, but it needs work since it dies when you open it under a load. Fuel pump issues...
I am super excited about this boat and can't wait to take it in the water. Pictures below...

Long Story

I saw the add on craigslist about 2 weeks ego and email the owner with a lower offer, he was originally asking $800.
Sunday we finally agreed on price and I took off to Jacksonville to pick the boat around 6:30pm, on a 2hr trip.
When I got to Jacksonville I got lost and wasted a whole hour going around in circles until I finally found the boat at 9PM.
Certain parts of Jacksonville are very scary, and being lost at that time of the night is not fun.
This guy happens to live across from a not so nice neighborhood, and I was tempted to leave without finding the boat.
Finally I discover his house, it is a very nice block of houses in the middle of a ghetto, makes no sense...
It took an hour to do the transaction while we tried to get the trailer lights to work, fail attempt.
I pulled out of there so happy and excited that I could not explained it...
Finally leave his house around 10pm, bound to get lost again in my way home, and so I did miss the entrance to the highway.
It was for good reason, 3 blocks away from the guy house, the right wheel locks up and the trailer start swerving.

Nightmare starts...

I pull over into a church parking lot in the middle of no where to check what is happening but I have no tools.
I realize the wheel is locked, it won't roll. I use the car jack equipment to remove the hob cap to find the worse...
The hob has no grease and the bearings are welded together due to salt water.
All freak out I call the guy to see if I can leave the boat in his garage and come back for it the next day, he wont answer.
Then I drag the trailer back to his house and park it on the drive way, all lights out they have gone to sleep.
I did not wanted to leave the boat there, but I had no choice so I take off without the boat.

In my way out I find a tow truck hooking a car, I explain the situation to the driver, he directs me to the nearest Walmart.
11:30pm at this point, thank got for Walmart, they had new bearings and everything I needed, I spent about $40.
Go back to the guy house to fix the trailer, only to realize that from dragging the trailer thel tire had blown.
Drove right back to Walmart and picked up two new tires just in case. By the time I have everything to work with, 12AM.

Out in the dark with no lights, in someone's else drive way, afraid of his dog and everything else I set out to fix the bearings.
I am hungry and my sugar running low, I am starting to feel fainting and I get worry so I slow down and take it easy.
Thank God I brought with me the range for the hitch ball, it is the same size as the bearings luck nut.
I not able to remove the old bearing, but I cleaned it the best I could and grease it up and it started rolling again.
I replace the tire, put everything back together and I rolled out of there, but I got lost again getting out, can't find I-95.
Going around in this dark and empty city with a half broken trailer, no one cop in sight and a bunch of homeless everywhere.

Finally found my way out and hop on I-10 West, what a relieve, I found myself out of Jacksonville, what a glory.
53 miles into I-10 going 60mil per hour around 2pm, the other wheel locks up and the trailer starts going everywhere again.
This time, both bearings are grained to nothing so I need no tools to get most of the junk out.
I clean both hobs, but could not get the bearing ring out so I just put new bearings on the old ring and pack it with grease.
Put everything back together and hit the road again around 3AM, doing 45mph on the highway all the way.

Finally made it home at 4:33AM, I was dizzy, nauseous and no being very coherent at by the time I got home.
I pretty much had just enough energy to open the front door and crash on the bed, I was done.

I am not whining, I just wanted to share the story, I am very happy with the experience and very proud of my
survival instincts while in the middle of such a crisis.

I am in love with my new boat and I have had it for about 24hrs now and I feel we have been through so much together already.

On thing for sure, big cities are exciting and most people love them, but I can careless for Jacksonville, I love the country.

Without any further delays, here are the pictures...

1stranded.jpg

Bearings.jpg

Tire-Blown.jpg

Tire-Hub.jpg

trailerRust.jpg

Sears-1.jpg

motor.jpg

motor-Inside-2.jpg

motor-fuelpump.jpg

Motor-badpuller.jpg

OtherBaby.jpg

WOW!!!!

Man you was right... That's a nightmare for sure. All in all glad you're happy with the boat. And I hope you get the bearing issue fixed right.

I got lost in a bad neighborhood before, it's no fun for sure. Drug deals on every corner, gangs, I was going about 50 in 25 zones... I just wanted outta there ASAP. If a cop would have gotten behind me, he would have waited til we was out of that neighborhood to pull over. LOL

dang man if it can happen it will happen to you sorry to hear about the trailer you do know you need to take the hubs off and nock out the races and replace the races with new bearings and seals if you run those bearings with the old races vary long it will do the same thing .i dont know what shape the hubs are in but you can buy new hubs with the races already installed just a option nice little boat congrats on your purchase

i swear that used to be my brothers boat. well just kidding, but he did have the same exact setup without a trailer, same jon and motor in st.pete. hah thats awsome. goodluck with it!

Loggerhead Mike said:
i swear that used to be my brothers boat. well just kidding, but he did have the same exact setup without a trailer, same jon and motor in st.pete. hah thats awsome. goodluck with it!

Well, I would not doubt anything at this point with my kind of luck...

i live in jacksonville its not that bad but it is bad in some places and sometimes it is scary at night