Anybody here know where I can find..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
my sanity? With all the craziness happening in the world today & in my personal life, I'm about two steps away from admitting myself into the nearest rubber room! :lol:

Anyway, what I'd really want to know is, I was interested in putting a small center console in my 14' v hull aluminum row boat. Anybody have any useful suggestions on where to find one? Also how difficult would it be to switch over from a throttle control on a handle of a 7.5 hp Chrysler outboard to a throttle control similar to the bigger boats? The reason is, much of the time I go fishing by myself. And with me, the gas tank, & the outboard motor all located at the very back of the boat well..needless to say the weight distribution ain't even close to being balanced (& no, I don't want to place some sort of extra weight near the front of the boat). Plus, I like the way the boat controls better from the center. Thanks!

I have seen small fiberglass consoles sold on ebay.Keep an eye out there.Keep an eye on boaters world.They occasionally have odd ball stuff for sale.Well maybe not odd ball.Just stuff that is hard to sell.

You're still gonna have to pull the rope to start it aren't you? If you want a console, build one....then you're not stuck with a predetermined size......you can make whatever you need to fit your specific space & needs.

ST

wouldnt you need to custom make controls for that motor?? also make a custom consol. the best way would be with aluminum due to not as much weight.if your not good with metals these metal guys are looking for work. so if you buy the materials and make measurements they will probably fab it up for you pretty cheap.

Were are you located anyways

I deal with a place here in N.C. that has just about anything you could ever need for your Jon.

https://www.akmccallumco.com

I have seen several center consoles in thier store and in thier catalog. Page 38 in the catalog shows 3 different kinds.

They are also some of the most helpfull people you will ever find. Hope this helps and good luck.

big-jon-man said:
I deal with a place here in N.C. that has just about anything you could ever need for your Jon.

https://www.akmccallumco.com

I have seen several center consoles in thier store and in thier catalog. Page 38 in the catalog shows 3 different kinds.

They are also some of the most helpfull people you will ever find. Hope this helps and good luck.
:WELCOME:aboard nice site thanks

With the cost of the console steering conversion, building the console, and the fact that there's not much room in a 14' v-hull I would say shop around a little for a used center console boat and motor before you commit to this. You could drop a bunch of money and time in what you have and it won't increase in value. Except maybe to you, and that's what really matters so do what makes you feel good.

Space wise, you'd be much better off rigging a rope with pulleys for steering. On an old boat, I rigged two pulleys outboard from the motor an old Evinrude 5.5. I used a bolt on eye fastened to the motor ran the rope from the eye over to a pulley then up to the front pulley mounted just in front of the middle seat, across the front of the seat to a pulley on the other side, then back to pulley number four at the back corner of the boat and back to the metal eye on the motor. For long hauls, I'd get the motor going and move up to the middle seat grabbing the rope on each side and pulling toward the right side when wanting to go right and pulling toward the left to go in that direction. This was inexpensive and worked very well. Just to clarify, when in the middle seat the rope ran under the knees. I used nylon rope....held up well, poly weakens in the sun.

Best not to make a console, they are in the way, especially in small boats.