Putting in flooring with curved patterns....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
I'm about to put in flooring in my new Deep V boat. I can put in sections between seats as they are all straight line edges and easily measurable...but when I get to the bow, I am honestly stumped on how to do the curves. Would appreciate any help offered....very much. Thank you...Mac

Ahab, tried the V hull decking search to no avail. You also put me on a fine job of cardboard template for a jon boat, which does not help me to get the curves onto a cardboard for the V shaped bow piece. I appreciate your input, but still don't have a clue in fabrication of a curved template. I am placing the plywood decking as a floor piece, not an elevated casting deck. I understand how to frame it up off the V so as to make it flat, just can't quite figure the side edge curves.

I would suggest a piece of cardboard cut roughly in the shape of the bow section you are contouring...lay the cardboard on your decking and then use a compas (or if you don have one simply attach a sharpie marker to a ruler using tape) trace the side of the boat with the compass/ruler allowing the pencil/sharpie to mark the cardboard with the same contour.

You should then be able to cut out the cardboard and have it close to the shape you want, then refine the shape for one side.

Take this template and create another one for the other side, place both templates in the bow, overlap if needed, duct tape them together and you should have template for the bow...

I am getting ready to do the same on my boat this weekend...I will take pictures to help illustrat...

AZavenger, thanks....I remember that's pretty much how they worked it on a home repair show, laying stick on tile on a curved baseboard.....they cut out a wooden wheel from 3/4 inch wood and put a pencil through the center of the wheel and then simply rolled the wheel along the baseboard with the pencil drawing the curve on the rough cut cardboard laying on the floor. I'll just tape the rough cut at the level I want the flooring, using the compass or wheel, maknig the template and then figure the framing to support it from below. Thanks for posting...it's been a big help. Good Fishing, Mac

p.s. If you could put your pictures on this thread, I'd be much obliged. Thanks again for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy42CAmVFYE

Mac, you'll need to et your dividers at the distance of your widest gap. I'd suggest using some cardboard as a template, you can always tape & piece it together. Roofing felt is another good pattern material if you happen to have some laying around.

ST

Run a stringline down the center of the hull. Then, measure the distance from the string to to the hull every 3 inches. Run another string or make a chalkline down the center of your floorboard, and make a mark at each measurement every 3 inches. Then, it is just a matter of connecting the dots.