Good deal maybe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it is a scam. Usually hard to scam someone if they pay cash when they pick it up, and have the chance to check it out. Personally, I wouldn't want that type of boat on a 10 horse lakes. That is a lot of weight, that isn't needed. A 14 foot mod vee jon (same hull shape as the tracker) will almost plane with a 9.9, depending on load. Also, if you wanted a larger boat, a 16 or 17 Lowe or alumacraft mod vee jon (lighter than the equivalent tracker) can be customized, and you don't need all the weight of the console, and extra seats, and all the stuff you would need for high speed runs. Heck, you could get an older tracker (they used to not be so heavy) and modify it to your needs.

Again, that is my personal opinion, as if I were getting something like that, I have the extensive shop, with all the rivet tools, and anything else needed to make a light boat. If you wanted something to get you on the water fast, or didn't have much mechanical expertise, that would be a reasonable deal. Are you looking to buy, or just looking?

I've been looking not found anything yet I'm willing to buy. I don't care to build the decks etc myself I'm pretty hand with tools etc.

I like it, But you are right it is going to be dog slow. My boat is a foot smaller and has a 25hp 4 stroke. I turtle along at like 18-20 mph. that boat will be even slower, which also means that previous owner probably ran it at Wide open throttle at all times to get it moving. If they did not take care of the motor (going on 6+ years now) the motor could be on its last leg. Its a tough choice.

Jim said:
I like it, But you are right it is going to be dog slow. My boat is a foot smaller and has a 25hp 4 stroke. I turtle along at like 18-20 mph. that boat will be even slower, which also means that previous owner probably ran it at Wide open throttle at all times to get it moving. If they did not take care of the motor (going on 6+ years now) the motor could be on its last leg. Its a tough choice.
Naww, outboards are made to go wide open for long periods of time. Unlike a human, which will wear out, motors have no feelings, so as long as he kept the oil ratio correct, and it pumped water correct, you should have no trouble. Now, if you are fishing 9.9 lakes it is doubtful that you need a full 17 feet. Even if you don't want to build something, and you want to keep the consoles, you could probably find a 1980s 14 or 15 foot aluminum bass boat. Pull the 50 or 60 (common size for that size boat of that era) and put a 9.9 (or a 15 with a 9.9 hood - they have the same powerhead in most manufactures, so it is little things, like carb jets, and injection ports that are the difference. so the hoods are the same)
In small water, a 14 or 15 foot, all decked out, will do you great, and you won't feel cramped. 12 and you will.

Good thoughts after thinking its nearly more than my car tow (max 3000). I may want too much :eek: I'd like a boat that would work with electric only lakes and then larger makes maybe I need two boats.

Well the fact that only 1 is running (well one is a canoe, so not much work for it) The Lund, we are restoring completely. We stripped everything out of it, but we have been a lot busier in the past year, than we thought we would be. So, it often sits under its tarp for months on end, without a bit of work. The 14er, we are modifying, and it is (at the moment) getting a little bit each weekend. And the 12 footer, it never needs any work. All we do is charge the battery on it, and store the battery/outboard inside.
We will probably be picking up another 17 foot Grumman canoe later tonight (found another good deal) and since we had 2 offers for 350 on the one we currently have on Craigslist, we figure picking another up for 100, and selling it for 300 to 350 ain't a bad deal. We also have found a 1988 18 foot alumacraft bass boat on Craigslist. It has been stripped down, and needs restoration, but being a bass boat, it is built a bit differently than our Lund, so much of the work I would be able to do on it. Then, the poor Lund, it will keep waiting. But, even if we got it going, we really don't currently have the time to use it (right now we only fish the local elec only lake anyway) so it wouldn't get used. A 14er serves us much better, so if we get the 18er, the Lund would get used more for skiing, and trips to the ocean (it is a deep vee)
So later tonight, I will report, if we pick up the other canoe, and hopefully they will both be sold this weekend. Then, hopefully we can get the alumacraft.

Sorry to ramble on. I kinda forgot what I was answering, so I just typed a lot. Basically pbw, it really doesn't take that much work to manage them. If they don't need work, it is just keeping up the batteries, making sure it is covered nicely, and if the outboard gets constant use, it will rarely need something.

With a 9.9, that boat will be a barge. I have a 15' welded jon. I have some additions like a floor, deck, seats, fish finder, carpet, wiring, etc. It's still lighter than the boat in the picure and mine won't plane.

That guy was obviously restricted by law, that's why he chose a 9.9. On small bodies of water it would do just fine (like moving the boat with a kicker motor). But on big bodies it's going to take all day to go far.

Yeah, there is no way in heck that is gonna plane. Would take at least 30 IMHO. He did that for 10 horse max lakes, and IMHO, you don't need past about 15 feet for smaller water. Bigger is better cause it can handle speed better, and handle larger water better, but on HP limited lakes, you wouldn't have to worry about speed, or large water.

Latest posts