HELP! Need ideas for transom mount trolling motor platform!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewR

Reaction score
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've made a visit. I finally have another little modification project to work with!! :)

Here's my situation.

I would only do this for the Walleye fishing, and I would only have my transom mounted Minn-Kota on the boat when Walleye fishing.

My boat has a goofy transom in which it is angled from the sides down to where the Evinrude is mounted. Why? I don't know - it's kind of stupid.

With a crooked transom like this, I could never mount a trolling motor.

I would like to get some metal, possibly weld it down or drill or do something, just so I can get a firm and even platform to mount a temporary transom mount trolling motor.

Here is what the transom currently looks like:

boat1.jpg

As you can see, it is close to impossible to mount a troller the way it is. I've been there and done that, and it won't work in its present state.

boat2.jpg

Basically, where you see the flat metal on the right hand side, I would like to add on an extension from there, maybe extend it out to as much as 8 inches.

boat3.jpg

I am not the most mechanically inclined individuals out there but am very good with drilling and screwing things in. If welding would be needed, I would obviously receive help.

Looking for mounting ideas, or for any logical methods to build a mounting platform so I can use my transom mounted trolling motor next year.

Thanks very much. :D

How bout you just cut a wedge of wood at a reverse angle to your transom? Take out the screws holding down the top trim and mount the wedge with slightly longer screws.

Something like this.
transomwedge.gif

I would have someone make a bracket 6"W x 8"L x 2" T with four holes in the lower section located on both sides. Slide this bracket over your transom and level it up even with the piece of the left side you were speaking of. Then use the bracket as a template and drill the four holes and install the four bolts that will go through the transom. Tighten the nuts and install your trolling motor.
If the 2" is not enough then go 2.5" or whatever is acceptable.
The four holes can be 3/8".
If your are worried about water use some caulking around the bolts when you install them.
1/8" material should be plenty.

Wish I could help but don't have any ideas right now. Well I had one, but don't think it would work. I cannot see the inside of your boat, but I was thinking if you could mount a bracket on your first bench seat, that is if the boat has bench seats. It would work sort of like a arm that would extend backwards enough to allow the trolling more to work off the back of the boat. Once you pulled the trolling motor out of the water, all that would be resting on the back of your boat would be the shaft of the motor, with the head stick out past the transom enough to turn the end of the motor up vertically as to not take up too much room. To sum it up, something like a front mounted trolling motor bracket, but longer.

Just figured I would pitch that out there, might be a crazy ideal though.

Why not just mount the TM,near the transom,on the side that you don't fish from.The wood wedge was the other idea I had.I'm thinking your TM is a transom mount unit.Is this correct?

The wedge would be quick and easy. I would likely opt for that, just out of billet aluminum instead of wood :D were I faced with those odds.

Don't you have a powerdrive on the bow, that you can control from back there?

I agree with the shim(wedge)idea as being the easiest solution.
If your only walleye fishing once and a blue moon,a wedge out of wood,slid under your transom TM would probably be ok,as long as the screws are deep enough to screw down to your boat.
Going more often, I'd look for a permanate solution like WW's or cheeseballs out of metal.

Cheeseball: - That idea by far might be the easiest thing to do. As far as durability is concerned, I have no idea but it seems like it will work. I did try wedging in a block of triangular shaped wood under where the troller mounts but doing it that way the motor nor mount would hold together in place. I like the idea though!

Waterwings: - Exactly what I was thinking as well. If I were to get something like that done, I would obviously receive some help. This might be the strongest and most durable way to do it. Plus if I want to frequently add or remove the troller from the boat, I will have this bracket/channel mounted on permanently so I wouldn't have to worry about anything.

Bassboy: - Yes, I've got the powerdrive which is mounted up at the front. I have tried controlling it from the back end of the boat by extending the cable and foot pedal out but I just don't get the same exact precise boat control as I do with the transom mounted trolling motor.

Everyone else, thanks for the replies thus far! :D

Maybe a combination of a wedge sandwiched inside the bracket that Waterwings and BassNBob suggested would be the best solution. I would make the bracket extend down long enough so that the TM mounts completely to the bracket.

Something like this...
TMbracket.gif

Cheeseball said:
Maybe a combination of a wedge sandwiched inside the bracket that Waterwings and BassNBob suggested would be the best solution. I would make the bracket extend down long enough so that the TM mounts completely to the bracket.

Something like this...
TMbracket.gif

That's a good idea! 8) . I'd seal/waterproof the wooden wedge real good before placing it under the metal bracket mount.

I wouldn't worry about the wooden wedge. Your T/M should tighten up good to the bracket.
I do like the drawing.

AndrewR,

Have you tried mounting the trolling motor as is? Some trolling motor clamps have enough "bite" that the first screw device could hit the boat under the trim and by holding the motor in an upright position, the second scew device could possibly clamp on the trim piece. I had a boat once that had a tilted transom, but the size of the clamp bracket allowed for the correction. Just wondering..... Can't really tell by guessing. Good Luck, Mac

Latest posts