Storing boat trailer outside for winter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it's best to block up the rear of trailer, so the tires are off the ground. Is this a good idea? If so, should I just place something under the axle or where? Thanks.

I've always heard that also. My boat never sits still more than a couple of weeks year around. Another idea my dad always told us to due is to cover the wheels so the sun doesn't dry rot them as fast.

The theory is that by setting the trailer on stands,it eliminates spring collapse and flat spots in the tires.If the boat and trailer are under 1200 pounds I doubt it's worth it.Unless the boat is going to be stored for 6 months are longer, I wouldn't worry with it.I've redone pontoons that have set outside for 15 years and there was no problem with the trailer.

Specknreds said:
I've always heard that also. My boat never sits still more than a couple of weeks year around. Another idea my dad always told us to due is to cover the wheels so the sun doesn't dry rot them as fast.

Covering the tires helps a lot.Season doesn't matter.All you need to do is block direct sun light from getting to them.

My first boat (Tracker PT175) sat outside year-round, as it wouldn't fit in my garage. Removed the batteries, covered it with a tightly stretched tarp (with a support pole beneath the tarp), gave the rims a good waxing, re-lubed the wheel bearings, applied some good tire dresssing to the tires, then covered them with plastic, secured with duct tape. It ain't pretty, but it works. I do the same for my current rig, and no problems. I never had any flat spots on the tires. I would occasionally tear a small hole in the plastic covering the valve stem, check the tire pressure, fill if needed, then cover the small hole with a piece of duct tape. I also cover the trailer tongue where the lighting harness plug is, and the winch to keep UV rays off the winch strap. No problems! :)

Thanks guys. What is the spring shackle? Would I be better off placing jack stands under the axle, or laying a concrete block flat on each side under axle? I want to raise it just enough to get the tires off the ground. The axle is only about 1.5" square(I think). I'm worried the axle might not be strong enough if I do this. The boat is a 16/48 flat jon with a 25 hp outboard.

another thing you can do is wash your trailer tires/wheels one last time, and then they dry, put a good coating of Armor All on them... acts like a lubricant and repels moisture as well as UV rays.. The gel formula is best, but I hate using that stuff on tires that I drive everyday

Spring shackle: It's where you have a u-bolt attaching your spring to the axle. This spreads the weight as if its sitting on the wheels. Doesn't matter concrete or jack stands.

If it is a concrete block, make sure you put it where the holes are on the top and bottom, not the sides. Also put a board across the top that spans all 3 verticals. Concrete blocks have very little strength when put sideways, and will bust easily. I see way to many people put 300 pound trailer tongues on a sideways concrete block, and just cringe at the though.

Andy Taylor said:
I wish you guys would answer my last couple questions.
A bit touchy tonight, are we?

My boat is around the same size as yours,with a 40hp.
It sat for 4 months last year,no jacks,the tires were fine when I went to use it.Although this year I'm thinking of taking my outboard off and jacking it up.Not until the ice sets in though,I'm going to try to catch a fish in Dec. this year.

Thanks again. Would it be OK if I left the 25hp outboard on? Or would that be too much weight on the axle? Is it best to put the stands/blocks under the spring shackles or axle?

I know longer have my 40,it's now a 30hp.Light enough to move around without staining something.Was thinking I might paint the cowling and put the motor in a spot where it doesn't freeze.
I don't even know why...Have left them out all winter before and got away with it,see alot of boats around here with them on year around.Guess I'm just doing what I am reading?It's nice to have an outboard start right up after the winter without having to mess around with it.

Not sure why you are freaking out about bending the axle. If you place the stands in the center of the axle, you may bend it slightly but hopefully you would put them close to the wheels. If you are this concerned about it then put the stands/blocks/cribbing or what have you under the trailer frame. Problem solved.

fowlmood77 said:
Not sure why you are freaking out about bending the axle.
Exactly. Think about where the springs place the pressure of the whole load. Right on 2 1.5 inch wide spots on the axle.

Latest posts