1985 Lowe Sprite 15'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilinimud

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but i have been reading the site for a while. I was going to fix up my own boat, but i found this one online. I called the guy and he said that it has a 42" beam, and it looks pretty skinny in the pic to me. Do any of you have opinions on the Lowe Sprite?

Any help or comments are appreciated. Here is the link to the boat: https://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/892390642.html

That's a nice boat and good size.It looks narrow because of the way the interior is done.I'd buy it for that price and fish everyday,without worrying about missing a day from work to make the payment.

Two of my resources (only two I bothered checking) say it has a 57 inch beam. I would think that would have a 36 inch bottom width, and while lots of folks have those, and deck those, I wouldn't have anything with less than 42. But, for a crappie style boat with the layout shown, without high decks, a 36 inch bottom will do alright. Don't expect much speed with that 6 horse though. Maybe 4 mph. I wouldn't put anything less than a 20 on that unless I was in hp restricted lakes.

Welcome aboard.
Looks like it was well kept or just redone.Thats an interesting seat mount in the bow.If the size beam is an issue,bring a tape and use it as a negotiating tool.

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies! I think it is a good price as well. Everything on the trailer is new as well. Bearings, carpet, hand winch, jack, rollers, and an extra set of wheels and tires.

I think the livewell looks a little small as well, but it is the best boat i have found for the price so far...

I am going to look at this boat tommorow. Iam going to take pics since me and my dad are going half and half on it. I will try to post the pics here when i get back, and look forward to getting feedback from you guys.

Oh yeah, anything in particular i should look for?

Ask questions...lots.
General appearance of the boat,ask about leaks,check wood(transom).
Lots of questions about the motor.
Again general appearance,,if it's been sunk,,some people say if it got to hot the paint will be flaking off the motor,it will do that to if run in salt water, alot.Ask about maintance,water impellor changing,lower unit oil,tune up,etc.

If he could start it or even better take you guys on a test ride.

I'm not sure how far you want to go into this but a compression check is nice so is draining some lower unit oil to see if any water has got into there(milky).
It's nice talking to people in person,you can get a good vibe of them.
Good luck and hardly ever pay full price.

Well i went and picked up the boat yesterday. I dont think i could have gotten a better deal for 950 bucks. The titles to the boat and trailer may say 1986, but they have beeen redone like brand new. Everything on this trailer is brand new, and the boat is SWEET! Just what i was looking for. Also, he told me it was a 1985, but it is a 1986 which is great because from 85 to 86 they made it 3" wider! (from 57" at widest point, to 60")

I am charging the batteries to the camera now, but i feel like sharing some pics with all of you, so they will be up soon. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments given in this post.

Here are the pics!boat 1.jpgBoat 5.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2,049
  • Boat 3.jpg
    Boat 3.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 2,042
  • Boat 4.jpg
    Boat 4.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,040
Oh that'll never do. Water spots on the hull, dirty throttle handle on th emotor and just look at that oar! Bring it over and I'll get rid of it for you. :lol:

Just kidding. Looks like you got one heck of a deal.

LoL...well actually that isnt the motor that came with it. It is my dads that he uses to boat into the oil field when the land floods, hence the dirt. The motor that came with it has a broken, what i think is a rewind starter assembly....the thing the rope wraps around inside....is that the correct name? I need to order a new one.