Covering with a tarp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys with consoles in your boat cover your boats with just a regular tarp? And if so, could you post a pic on how you support it? Reason i'm asking is because the cover I got now isn't gonna hold up when winter time comes....It rips now just trying to get it snug over the boat as is, much less with snow laying on it. And unfortunetly I don't think i'm gonna be able to afford a descent cover for it, so i'm thinking i'm gonna just got with a tarp to make it through the winter. So if any of you guys got any pics of how your supporting your "covers", if you could post em up, that'd be great. Thanks!

The ski boat that I sold over the summer spent many years under a tarp.

I folded old blankets and t-shirts up and layed them on all of the sharp corners before I placed the tarp on it. I also used pieces of rope strung from the high points and tied tightly to the sides to keep the tarp from sagging and make precip. run off.

What is the best way to tie the tarp down? Just tie it to the trailer? Or i've seen some that have "straps" that go underneath the boat and snap?

Keep in mind, I wanna keep it simple as possible because I will still be using my boat throughout the winter, just need something better to keep it protected. The cover I have now is pretty well ready for retirement.

I always used nylon string and tied from the grommets to the trailer frame.

Tie a loop in one end of the string and run the loose end through the loop after passing through a grommet. Then, you can run the loose end around the trailer tube and back over the tightened string then throw a looped half hitch in it. Makes for really quick tie/untie.

My new custom cover uses the same concept, just with heavier rope.

Edit: you can use the rubber tarp straps too. I used a couple of those in conjunction with the strings on my ski boat. One on the front to hold the tarp under the bow and one to pull the rear of the tarp tight across the transom saver.

i don't use a tarp i have a travel cover for my triton but I do use a trick to keep the snow and ice from sitting on my cover.
I go to a pool supply store and get a https://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Vinyl~4~x~15~Air~Pillow~16-gauge_271_8095~product.html

cover pillow. i place it under the cover and fil it with air to hold the tarp in place you can get a couple of gallon boottles and fill them with water to hang over the side
the pillows are cheap and holld up for years..

Wayne

I'll be using my travel cover but this year the seats will be installed without the pedistal posts. They hold the cover up just enough to prevent water from pooling. If that doesn't work I'll be putting the pedistal posts in the holes and running a line from the bow eye to the front seat post, to the back seat post and then over the back and tie it to the frame of the trailer and put a tarp over the line. Make it like an old style pup tent.

they sell a few styles i inflate mine until the cover is tight but you can put a much or as little air in them as needed
the trick is to place the pillow under the cover first then fill it up to the height you want. then pull the air hose and plug the pillow

Filling the jugs with water works well, just be sure to leave a few inches empty to allow the expansion when freezing. You can tie the tarp fore and aft and hang bottles along the sides...this will keep the tarp secure from shifting.

Latest posts