Cleaning electric contacts on a boat

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Rbacca

Cleaning electric contacts on a boat

Post by Rbacca » 01 Nov 2008, 12:21

Guys,
I recently purchase a boat from craigslist I like the boat, is the perfect size I paid 900 for the boat and trailer. Mike the guy who I got it from, drove the boat to my house... quite similar to a tread that I just read but Mike is a cool guy..all the paperwork was in order etc.

Aside from needing a new bilge pump and a new seat, the boat is perfect. I have attached a pic of the boat (from the manufacturer) looks the same but dirty (I need to wash it is getting cold in Virginia)
bas tender.jpg
Ok now my question, while I was cleaning the boat I notice that some of the electric connections had corrosion (that green stuff) They are all clean now but I don't want to waste any battery power due to poor electric connections. What do you guys use to prevent corrosion on electric connections on boats. I'm more concerned with the connections for the trolling motor.

Thanks.
Rab

RazorBaits
Zum

Re: Cleaning electric contacts on a boat

Post by Zum » 01 Nov 2008, 13:16

Once there good and clean,I personally use "fluid film".
Theres lots of other products out there,thats just one I like.It's pretty thick,non-conductive and lasts a long time.

ACarbone624

Post by ACarbone624 » 01 Nov 2008, 16:38

Contact Grease/Dielectric Grease

ben2go

Post by ben2go » 01 Nov 2008, 18:43

I use baking soda mixed into warm water to clean connections.Be aware that it will fizz until the acids are neutraulized.1 heaping table spoon of baking soda to 1 cup warm water.I use Q tips inside of some connectors and a small brush like a tooth brush.Works on battery connections also.Then I use dielectric grease on the connections to prevent more corrosion.

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 02 Nov 2008, 06:14

Any non-conducting grease will prevent the corrosion build up (in the Navy we used bearing grease on all of our battery connections). Make sure the connections are clean and tight as well.

The next time won't be the first time I've made the same mistake twice.
All the romance of fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

Rbacca

Post by Rbacca » 03 Nov 2008, 20:50

Thanks for your advice guys,

With the information I have Im sure I wont get any more green stuff :|