Keel Guard ideas???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evattman

Reaction score
Im been thinking about a keel guard. The manufactured ones are for fiberglass (or so they say). Im just wondering if the manufactured ones would work on Aluminum. Or, has anyone made one? Its got me thinking.

I'm not sure how keel guards would work on aluminum... i've seen people paint parts of the bottom with herculiner or something like that, but I've heard that people who paint the whole bottom complain because it messes up how well the boat cuts water and how well they roll up on carpeted bunks if the flats are painted.

Adding a Keel Guard/Keel Shield to the bottom of my rig has crossed my mind, but I don't think it would adhere to an aluminum rig properly, unless it was un-painted and extremely clean, with a really smooth surface to "stick" to. However, that's just pure speculation w/o anything to back it up. All of the websites of those products that I've looked at only talk about fiberglass boats. Tin is never mentioned that I recall.

They range in price from around $120 - $260. They can be used on fiberglass or aluminum hulls, and if aluminum, they can be used on welded or riveted hulls. KeelShield makes different models for riveted hulls. Here's what I cut and pasted from the KeelShield page on the Cabela's website.

If the customer has an all welded hull aluminum boat or the rivets going down the middle of the hull are 4 3/4 inches apart or closer they can order the 5 inch KeelShield (01-1299). 2. If the rivets are further than 4 3/4 inches apart the customer will need to order the 12 inch wide Keelshield for aluminum boats (01-2144).

From the KeelShield web site:

FAQ #1

Will KeelShield work on aluminum boats?

KeelShield will not work on some aluminum boats. Some Alumacraft , G3 Angler, Lowes and Lunds. KeelShield will not conform to boats with the knife like reinforced keelbone. Please contact us for more info on these brands of boats.

https://www.keelshield.com/frequentlyasked.html?&no_cache=1

evattman:

What is it you are trying to do with a Keel guard? Why do you feel you need one on a tin boat?

The nice thing about tin boats (as opposed to glass) is that they take a lot of abuse - hitting rocks and grounding the boat usually results in little or no damage. Plus, aluminum does not splinter and loos integrity like glass even after a few dings and dents

What is it you are trying to do with a Keel guard? Why do you feel you need one on a tin boat?

The nice thing about tin boats (as opposed to glass) is that they take a lot of abuse - hitting rocks and grounding the boat usually results in little or no damage. Plus, aluminum does not splinter and loos integrity like glass even after a few dings and dents

When I got the boat it already had a hole in the keel. It was about an 8 inch slit from previous wear. Im not sure how other aluminum v bottoms are, but my keel is hollow, so there was no leak......its just in that rib. (hope I explained that)
I did repair the slit with jb weld and it seems to be holding fine, I'm just looking for some extra protection.

Latest posts