TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon82

Reaction score
First off, I would like to say this is an awesome website. I've been doing alot of reading.

I have a 1972 15' Ouachita flatbottom with a 15hp motor. I recently painted the motor, now I'm wanting to paint the hull. What is the cheapest and most convienient way? Nothing fancy just needs a fresh coat of paint. I have gotten so many different opinions. Thanks in advance...

Cheap spray paint. Not super durable but gets the job done. I used 99 cent spray paint from Home Depot.

100_4396.jpg

Hi Brandon, and welcome to our clan.

If you came for opinions, you came to the right place. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. I don't know much about paint either and I need to paint my boat eventually. So I will be watching this thread right along with ya.

Getting paint to stay is in the prep work.Good prep work equates to smooth longer lasting paint.Even cheap paint will look good and last a while if the sanding and primer is done correctly.Just remember to keep wiping down the hull before and after sanding and before priming and painting.I use denatured alcohol because it's cheap,works well,and drys fast.

Welcome to the site, these guys are great, they can answer about anything. I am in the process of painting my boat as well. I am not sure if what i did was the right way but, I started by using a coarse steel wool pad and cleaned the whole boat down with that. The next part was to clean off all of the dust, and a guy at O'Riley's told me to use that Brown Cider Vinegar to clean down the boat, I then just used Spray Paint Primer from Walmart - I am sure that there are better things out there to use that will work better, but I am on a budget and this I think will work fine. After primer was applied, I then when to Ace and just got regular Latex paint, I think! It was what the guy recommened, because he said if I was not wanting to spead a fortune on paint, pretty much anything that I used is going to get scratches in it, so I fugured I would go with this. I am not really worried about scratches on the bottom of the boat as it will be in the water, Right? And I am using a Wagnor Power Painter to put in on with.

I don't know how well this will work, it is my first time, but that is what I did. Hope this helps.

Latest posts