Started new project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wo show

Reaction score
Well, I'm a new guy on here and was going to start modding my 14' Aerocraft,( https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5498)and after much thought, I decided it wasn't going to be a good platform for what I wanted. So, I sold that and found a 14' MirroCraft that is much wider and built much better than the other boat so I jumped on it. It needs a little work but what older boat doesn't.

I also found a nice 4 hp Johnson motor that was in great shape to put on the boat. I was driving it home, and I called my buddy to tell him about it. He wanted to see it so I drove it over to house. He saw it, and wanted it. He traded my a MINT 7 1/2 Merc with electric start. He wanted something smaller for his boat that he cartops. So that will be going on the boat when its done.

I also picked up a trailer from another CT site that I belong to. I looked at the trailer in the dark and paid for it. The guy brough it over my house when I was at work. It turned out not to be as nice as I though, but I'll make it work.

Oh yeah, along with all this, I ran across a 10' Lowe Jon Boat I just couldn't pass up. That will be a project for later.

So, I finally got a little time this weekend and did a little work. First I cleaned out the garage so I would be able to fit the boat and trailer in and be able to work on it. I took out the seats and inspected them. The foam under the seats is a little beat up, I'll re-foam later. I rough sanded most of the inside until I ran out of pads for the sander. I also sanded a little on the outside to see what I'm up against. My plan is to try and do a little sanding each day. I want to get the boat painted before I do anything to the trailer, this way I don't need to worry about scratching it or getting any chemicals on it if I use any. I'll keep updating here as I go. Thanks again for a great site!

Here are some pics:Picture 258-400.jpgPicture 259-400.jpg.

Attachments

• Picture 269-400.jpg
    Picture 269-400.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2,066
  • Picture 268-400.jpg
    Picture 268-400.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 2,068
  • Picture 256-400.jpg
    Picture 256-400.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,067
I got home a little early tonight and got about an hours worth of sanding done. The inside is almost down to bare metal, its starting to look pretty good. Primer should go on pretty nicely. I was able to do a little sanding on the outside just before it got dark and wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I sanded most of the inside with a palm sander with 60 grit paper. It did a nice job, but when the pads get a little worn they aren't anywhere near as effective. Keep a bunch on hand, and change often if you use one. The outside had a few coats of brushed on paint, so I've been using a disc sander and the palm sander. If I can keep up a hour a day, I should be almost ready for paint by Sunday.

I'd like to paint the boat white on the bottom and green on the sides, ok, thats what my 5 year old son wants, anyway, can I get away with Rustoleum primer and paint? I plan to roll it on with a nice fine roler to get a good finish. Am I on the right track here? I know a few have used Tractor supply paint, and paint form Boaters world. I have all three types of paint close to my house. Any idea's, comments, or help appreciated. Thanks.

Don't know about using Rustoleum on aluminum, but be sure and use a self-etching primer on the bare metal before applying the final paint. From what other members have said, the tractor paint sounds like it lasts quite awhile.

Buying another project boat while bringing another home? Man, you got the bug! :twisted:

Project is coming along nicely.

How much did you pay for the little jon?

Headed out this afternoon to try and get some sanding done. Well, it didn't go as well as expected. This inside was pretty easy, the ouside is a problem. Well, it seems that the boat has about 4 coats of paint on it and it is bonded pretty good. I've been using a 8" disc sander with 36 grit pads and the hardly touches the paint. It works ok for about a minute, then is either dulled, or clogged up. I went through a bunch of pads and didn't get far at all. I worked on it for about 2 1/2 hours and really didn't get very far. I figured I'd be almost done by now, but haven't even really touched anything below the waterline yet.

The other problem is now that I'm taking the paint off I'm finding some pretty nice dings. I'm hoping that the new primer will stick to that because I don't think I should remove any of the paint from them. Because of the dings, I may paint the boat all white instead of the two-tone green and white like I envisioned.. I know that darker colors show imperfections more so maybe the white will hide the ones I've found so far.

I'm done for a few days, Going to busy with work. Hopefully I can get back to it over the long Thanksgiving weekend.

Well, I have the hull about 98% stripped. I worked on it last weekend for a few hours, and today for another few, its actually coming out much better than It though it would. I have a little bit more to do in hard to reach corners and such but I'm basically done. I figure another two hours and I should be ready for paint. Of course it going to snow here tomorrow so that will put me back a few days. I was going to take pics but it was dark when I finished up.

Speaking of that, I've been to a few places around here and I can not find self etching primer. I'm looking for it in a can so I can roll it on. I've been to Pep Boys and Autozone, where are you guys finding it?

Well, we have have been hit with some pretty cold weather and about 8 inches of snow over the last few weeks. The weather broke today and I finished up stripping everything. I'm all set for primer. We should hit 55 degrees here on Sunday, so I'll be shooting it midday to take advantage of the warm weather. I'll let you know how I make out.

Latest posts