Just Curious

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadinger

Reaction score
Where I live it is hard to find a larger (16'-20') tin boat with an open floor plan in a decent price range. I was wondering if anyone has gutted something like a tracker bassboat and made it into a wide open fishing boat? There seems to be a lot of those around at a good price and I have the capabilities to do all the mods myself.

If you poke around the forum a little bit you will find your answer. Not sure where to refer you to but I remember one guy is on here converting a bass boat to a duck rig.

Here's the deal with gutting a tin boat.If the ribs are in solid condition,run across the floor and up the sides,it's probably stiff enough to gut.If the ribs are only across the bottom it's not a good idea to gut unless there will be a lot of stiffing add to the hull.Welded hulls are a completely different monster.Some are stiff enough to gut and some need considerable strengthening.Have you tried Craig's list and ebay?If you're traveling out of town for the holidays,check Craig's list and ebay in the area you will be traveling to.Don't forget about local classifieds.Hope this helps some.

From my experience with tin bass boats, and I have one out back right now, gutted except for structure, if you want pictures, is the bow deck needs to stay. Generally, it is only in the very front, and never long enough to fish from, but that seems to have a lot of structure, in most I have seen. However, at least in the 18 foot Alumacraft MV super bandit out back, the stern deck has no structural part. It is there solely to house fuel and hatches, and provide a casting deck for your backseater.

Latest posts