Paint question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wo show

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Still working on my project: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5804

I should have it stripped down to bare metal almost everywhere soon. I won't be spraying, I'm thinking of a smooth roller to get a good finish. What should I use to prime and paint? Before I really starting researching it I was thinking or Rustoleum metal primer and Rustoleum paint. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Any paint will stick as longs as the prep work is right.How long it sticks depends on the quality of the paint some what.A few people here have used Rust-o metal paint.My plan is tractor and implement from a local auto paint supplier.It can also be purchased at Tractor Supply,just don't forget to purchase the correct hardener for the paint.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5338&hilit=tractor

I found this site to be very helping as i begin my own modification project.

https://www.finishing.com/107/12.shtml

Where will you be using your boat? My tinboat will be used only in salt water hence I rfeceived a good word of caution. Be care about how much copper is in the paint that you use on your boat. As I was told, aluminum + too much copper paint + saltwater = floating fizzy. Apparently the copper paint reacts with aluminum and you get the effects of a battery.

In my opinion, the final finish is only as good as the primer layer... zinc chromate is what I used, and it made a big difference in the final look. It also does a good job acting as a sealer depending on how many coats you put on. I put 3 thin coats of primer, then 3 thin coats of brightside interlux. End result is a VERY shiny aluminum boat. Total cost of paint was $60, but I sprayed it on with my paint gun (bought it at Home Depot for $60, but my wife make me paint all kinds of stuff - light fixtures, chairs, etc)

...zinc chromate is what I used, and it made a big difference in the final look.

Zinc Chromate is what we used in the Navy for priming aluminum. Make sure there's no residue/dirt on the metal before priming, and I'd even go so far as lightly roughing-up the metal first with one of the red nylon scouring pads, and it'll hold well. As russ stated, 2-3 good thin coats is better than one heavy coat. 8)

Zinc Chromate sounds like the way to go. I have it down to bare meral in most area's so I would imagine it will stick pretty well.

I roughed up my boat with a $5 sanding disc from Wal-Mart that you put in a cordless drill... it will grind into the aluminum a little, and that will really make the zinc chromate hold on.

You may want to be careful with Zinc Chromate. I have never used it myself but I have heard that it can be dangerous stuff. May be Russ or one of the others who have experince with Zinc Chromate can help out on any special precautions needed.
What color are you going to paint it?

I've read that it is dangerous, and that its actually zinc phosphate now that they sell. I haven't been able to find either yet. I'd like to paint it like Evattmans, blue on top and white or grey below he water line, BUT, my 5 year old son, and wife love green, so it will be the green and white. Have to keep them happy

It has been fridgid here over the past few days, plus I've had some family stuff I've needed to do so I haven't been able to do anything on it. I'm going to try and get out today and get some sanding done.

just make sure wherever you paint it, it's well ventilated. I never heard about zinc chromate being dangerous, but I wasn't worried about ventilation since I painted it outside. I didn't wear a mask, and I probably should have, but I'm not one who is overly cautious as I probably should be.

The main thing is to make sure that you have it mixed well, or shaken up so that there are no clumps left anywhere. You can brush it on and then roll it out if you want... actually, I think I brushed mine on now that I think about it.

As far as the top coat, if you're not going to spray it, I would brush it on, then roll it out smooth. I would use atleast 2 coats... one advantage of spraying as opposed to brushing/rolling is that your paint goes a lot further and you can put on more coats using less paint. One thing you still might want to do with the paint if you brush/roll it is to get some regular automotive spray thinner.. it will make it have an even better look as well as make your paint go further.

Im not sure of the weather in CT, but if it were me, I would wait until the outside temps got back in atleast the high 60s before I started painting... even when I painted mine it was in the 90s-100s, but it still took days for it to cure.

I got the zinc chromate primer from Boater's World.. it's what the guy recommended and it was on clearance for $9.. I couldn't pass it up.

You might try using simple vinegar to prep the aluminum before painting, too...it is a mild acid, and will slightly etch the metal before painting. It is safe and simple...just be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Latest posts