Just getting started

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbass

Reaction score
Hey I'm just getting started in this whole jon boat conversion world. I am currentley on the hunt for something that I can fit me and my girl on and both fish with comfort what size jon boat do should I be looking at?

:WELCOME:

In my opinion, a flat bottom 1236 is a good all around boat for 2.(1236= 12 foot long and 36 inches wide)The main factors for deciding are weight to be carried,type of water you'll be on,how far and how long you wanna fish.If you're gonna be in choppy water,a modified V or deep V would be best.If you're going to spend a full day on the water,a boat with an open center would be good.The wider the boat the more stable it will be.The bow of a flat bottom boat has a tendency to pound the water in a chop,which can be unnerving to some.The biggest factor is money.There are great deals to be had.Just make sure you get the proper paper work to title and register the boat in your state.Also,some states require motors and trailers to be titled and registered.Your local DMV will handle titling the trailer.Some states use DMV to title and register boats and motors.Most states use DNR to title and register boats and motors.Hope this helps.Any more questions,just ask we'll help out.

Welcome aboard - what type of water will you be using the boat on? (ie, River, stream, Ponds, big lakes - restricted to electric, limited HP or unlimited)

Fresh, salt both?

Stored on / near the water or trailered?

I am looking to fish some moderate size lakes where the water might get a little bit choppy. And as far as money goes I'm looking to spend around 500-600 on the boat its self

In that case - go for a 14-16' semi V hull

You would still need a motor - something in the 15-25 hp range would be perfect

A semi-V is a little less stable (if you deck it out) but will handle the chop lots better then a jon boat

ok thnx what do u think about this it looks to me like it would be really unstable to stand in. Am i right?1fb1211453ne3mf3o88bn20451be2b89f149f.jpg

Attachments

• 11b1f01473mf3o23lf8bne1e18fb8a0a4107d.jpg
    11b1f01473mf3o23lf8bne1e18fb8a0a4107d.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 1281g71473n23oc3la8bne97386b6f99c1070.jpg
    1281g71473n23oc3la8bne97386b6f99c1070.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 12613b1g63m23o03l68bnf00fa8a905d21858.jpg
    12613b1g63m23o03l68bnf00fa8a905d21858.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,446
OK the thing is is that one of the main lakes that I fish has a lot of ski traffic do you still think it would be stable enoough for two people to fish on comfotably?

That boat, being a vee, will handle rough water great. Both of my 12 foot vees could outdo my 15.5 foot mod vee right now, as far as rough water, and windy water capabilities. I had one of them (the narrower of the two) out in the Atlantic Intracoastal, and quite often we faced 4 foot cruiser wakes. I live right near large reservoirs with pleasure boat traffic and lotsa skiers, and never felt endangered by wakes, only by ones that want to run you over (I think too much beer was involved in that event). However, the thing I hated about them was how unstable they are at rest. If you fish sitting down, and have stationary lines out, 2 people can fish them easily, provided you do a real good job designing the storage (You can fit a lot in there, and not be in the way, if you do it right). However, casting decks are out, and standing up is iffy, although I did it alright, but the constant movement of bass fishing is just a little much for one of those.

Thanks guys I think i'm gonna pass that one up let me know if anyone here knows if anything is for sale around CT

Thats a little far away for me maybe if it had a trailer or motor. Thanks for keeping a look out for me though if you see anything in ct let me know.

He is a subject that I brought up, a while back,concerning motors.Check with the lakes you will be going to,and find out there motor restrictions.I haven't been to my favorite lake in a couple years.I took my boat and 2 stroke motor.I was threaten with a fine and being banned for the 2 stroke.Come to find out,my fav lake had banned 2 strokes and raised the HP rating from 9.9 to 15.The raise in HP was to accomadate the lower speed 4 strokes.

the pic of the boat you posted looks just like mine. mines a montgomery watson sea king.

its plenty stable. you cant be dancin around on it standing up, but i have no problem fishing out of it with 3 ppl.

Latest posts