Square stern canoe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootisttx

Reaction score
I guess this fits in this category...I am thinking about getting a used square-stern canoe. The reason is that I wouldn't have to fool with a trailer, and have been offered a Lowe canoe, 17 foot, which I think would pair up nicely with my B&S 5 horse motor. What do the members think about this setup. They are asking $500 for the canoe. Thanks in advance.

When i was a young'n in florida my parents have one of them they called a ga-noo or somthing like that. it think it had a 2.5 or 3 hp motor on it. seem'd to work well with what i can rember. 500 seems steep unless its in great shape

I agree that 500 seems steep, but it may not be in your area.

My father-in-law bought a 16' brand new last year for 350 at Dick's... It doesn't have the flat back, but I wouldn't think there would be that big a difference.

I love aluminum canoes. I have had 2 17 foot Grummans, at one point, and right now, dad has a 15 foot Smokercraft. Been wanting a flat stern one though. I have seen a lot listed for 500, in good condition, however I am not sure if they sold. For reference, I sold a Grumman 17 foot regular style, for 325, in fairly good condition, and another for 275, and it was a little rougher. I think dad paid 250 for the Smokercraft, in good condition as well. Of course, I rarely sell something for the most someone would pay, and will hardly ever be the highest bidder on a boat or something. Usually being quick on a deal is what gets me by.

If you can ever get a good price on an old square stern Aerocraft, they're great. I had a 4 hp Evinrude on it and it worked great. Took rough waters well and was very economical to operate.

Went to the island beach one day and decided to rinse it out....took the motor and gas tank out, paddled it out a ways and leaned to tip it over. Would lean, but wouldn't go over. Stood on the side (gunnel) and pulled up on the thwart....finally, after rocking some, it went over....rinsed it out and pulled it ashore. In short, it had excellent secondary stability....gained a lot of respect for the canoe after having done the rinsing.

Xmytruck had a square back canoe. It was great for transporting. And for you young guys it's perfect. But for us older guys (Im 36) it would do a number on our backs sitting on it all day long. You can realistically stand up for just a few minutes, and it was hard to stretch your legs. Never mind the fact when some clueless fool flies by and does not slow down....you get the idea.

Jim, about the seating bothering your back. I currently have a Mad River Canoe and took out the cane seats, putting in a piece of plywood and then mounting a couple of Wal Mart's molded plastic seats...under ten bucks each and now enjoy hours of fishing without the aches and pains. The seats are still on sale in most sporting good sections at least in some of the local stores and are very comfortable, even without padding. Have fished in them up to six hours without discomfort.

Loggerhead Mike said:
When i was a young'n in florida my parents have one of them they called a ga-noo or somthing like that. it think it had a 2.5 or 3 hp motor on it. seem'd to work well with what i can rember. 500 seems steep unless its in great shape

You are thinking of a Gheenoe.They are great boats but expensive.I looked at a brand new 14' with molded in seats,I almost died of sticker shock,$2980 for bare boat.Used ones aren't cheap either.

I believe I asked Mac about his Mad River.They are reasonably priced for my research.I found 1 locally for $300,but it was an older(maybe 1st generation)boat that was a little different.Have you checked local sporting goods stores?We have a few that deal in used equipment and they do trade ins.Doesn't have to be boat for boat.They give you store credit on any old sporting or recreational gear that's in reasonable condition.

Thanks for the input...apparently, square-sterns are fairly rare (at least ones for sale) down here, as I haven't had much luck with Craig's or the want-ads. I think for fishing small waters, the ability to just throw it on the truck rack, put the motor in the back, and go whenever the mood strikes is great. Few hassles launching, and it should hold my fat a$$ and my gear with no problem. And I have the human-powered trolling motor (paddle) already. I'll keep looking while I pay off the credit card bill for the B&S.

Again, thanks for the input, and keep it coming.

This maybe a long shot but this site has discontinued and close out sales from time to time. https://www.1stdirectproducts.com/boats.html Free shipping on some boats.

Latest posts