Just another New Jon boat owner...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stamikaus

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Mike. I have a 9 year old son "who loves to fish" and a wife "who comes along for the ride".. We have a 1436 tracker flat bottom boat.. I am looking for some ideas of how to mod this so that we may have more room to store polls and so on.. This jon boat does not have side ribs they are only on the bottom. If that means something to someone..I myself am a worker. I leave the designing to the people who have a clue as to what they are doing.. So if you have some time I could really use some help..

Welcome aboard mate :D

Its always worth it when the hole family goes :wink:

I have a 1436 for me and the wife and two kids, the pole storage was a problem for me too, I have yet to figure one out I like for a 1436.

Look some over here if you haven't yet https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

I'm not sure on the ribs on the bottom only fab issue, maybe some pics of your rig would help us out on that.

Welcome Mr. Stami, I'm sure you;ll find something on tinboats to help you out, if you dont, maybe you and Mr. FishingBuds can come up with something.

Hey fishingbuds.. That is a nice boat you got there.. I like what you did and how you laid it all out... Now lets work on this ROD problem.. I am working on some Ideas but well see don't want to throw out something not plausible..

I would be making a rod box. Because you have nothing running up the side, the last thing I would do is remove that bench seat. The center bench seat is probably the most important piece of structure in that whole rig. I would cut a piece out of the seat, that will open up as the rod box.
See what I did on my bulkhead on my Yazoo project. Look at the first picture on the post on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:42 pm, on this page of that thread.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1684&start=30

You see how I cut out a section of the bulkhead, but left a little meat around it, then framed that in? I would be doing something similar to your rig. Cut out the same pattern in the front and back of the bench, and frame them in. Only, in your case (and what I might should have done in mine) would be to allow the top and bottom square tube to go all the way across the bulkhead/bench seat, as opposed to stopping at the edge of the cutout. I would leave the rest of the bench intact, and have the rod box go all the way back to the front of the stern seat, with a top opening door. That will give you ample room to get rods in.
On the post made on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:37 am, of this page of the thread, you can see that my rod locker door is pretty short, however I can still get 8 foot rods in there with ease.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1684&start=80

stamikaus said:
Hey fishingbuds.. That is a nice boat you got there.. I like what you did and how you laid it all out... Now lets work on this ROD problem.. I am working on some Ideas but well see don't want to throw out something not plausible..

Thanks, wished I could've painted her how I really wanted but, I still liked the out come(can't go wrong with Camo)

On the Rods, I was considering Cutting out the top of the front bench seat and plywooding over it all in one piece for the front deck, this way I could make a lid on one side, as for the middle floor I wasn't comfortable with raising the floor up even with the bench seats for a 1436 but, it needs to be done to complete a rod locker for it, I'm convinced that this layout would work on a 1448 instead.

I have also looked at tubes, but keeping the rods organized( not tangled up) would be hard

One recently I have seen is tubes running thru the back bench seat thru to the front bench seat and stacked on top, against the wall (not checked it out yet), so maybe for a 1436 this might work if you could do three tubes on one side and three on the other-6 poles not bad?

I will be takeing off the velcro rod straps, I keep the rods in the back of the truck cause I have to travel a gravel road to alot of the fishy holes. my rods get dirty bad if I leave them on the boat. I did try and use baggy's to cover them up but, alot of work to do that.

thank you both very much. So I am thinking that you both hit the nail on the head.. I can keep my center section low and Not lose my center seat.. build the rod locker so that it will go through the center seat on the side.. Question.. Is there foam in the seat ? I would assume there is. I was thinking of cutting the side for the rods and cutting the top and making it storage as well . In turn I would frame it in from the inside also put in some dividers to help with increasing the rigidness. =D> :idea:

FishingBuds said:
stamikaus said:

I was considering Cutting out the top of the front bench seat and plywooding over it all in one piece for the front deck, this way I could make a lid on one side

bassboy1 said:
You see how I cut out a section of the bulkhead, but left a little meat around it, then framed that in? I would be doing something similar to your rig. Cut out the same pattern in the front and back of the bench, and frame them in. Only, in your case (and what I might should have done in mine) would be to allow the top and bottom square tube to go all the way across the bulkhead/bench seat,
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1684&start=80

stamikaus said:
Hi. My name is Mike. I have a 9 year old son "who loves to fish" and a wife "who comes along for the ride".. We have a 1436 tracker flat bottom boat.. I am looking for some ideas of how to mod this so that we may have more room to store polls and so on.. This jon boat does not have side ribs they are only on the bottom. If that means something to someone..I myself am a worker. I leave the designing to the people who have a clue as to what they are doing.. So if you have some time I could really use some help..

:WELCOME: stamikaus

Thanks for joining! :beer:

OK thanks to you all I have a good plan laid out. I just need to get some supply's together and Oh YA some money as well .. Did my x mas shopping this week now I am broke... but for now my son and I will be hitting the water.. Need some fish to have a fish fry... Have a good day and I will start working on the boat next weekend...I will post some pic.
thank you again STAcy MIKe AUStin

Hi stamikaus, welcome to the site!

I'm having the same issue of rod storage on my mod project. I have the same size boat, a 1436. Here's a thread of my mod. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5404

To mount my rods on the inside of the boat, I'm thinking of boring a series of holes down one side of the middle seat, cutting out some of the floatation foam and lining the holes with pvc pipe. This will let me slip the tips of my rods into the holes and mount a rod holder on the side. Does that make sense?

Cheeseball said:
Hi stamikaus, welcome to the site!

Thank you, yes that makes scene.The only thing I could see is they will sick out the other side and just the tips. I see some rod ends getting broken.. For me. due to the wife and kid.. That is something to work with. I bet there could be a little more that could be done. Time to ponder